16" Grendel at 200yds w/123gr AMAX Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" Grendel at 200yds w/123gr AMAX Factory

Here are 2 of the groups I shot at 200yds with the Hornady 123gr AMAX factory load out of my button-rifled 16" AA Grendel:

The gun basically hovers around 1 MOA.

Here's what we did yesterday with 123gr Lapua Scenar Precision Firearms box ammo at 400m. The groups are from 2 different shooters, in 2 different wind conditions. Group on right is from shooter who has never shot at distance before, never shot the Grendel before. The other hits that weren't marked are from previous 5.56 splashes from months ago before the spring even.

Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2012, 02:31 AM.

thats really good, especially for a novice.

Comment

We're going to spraypaint the steel white next time, so we can see the placement through the spotting scope.

Comment

How do you like the short barreled Grendel? It seems most people have the long barreled version and most reloading data is for long barreled rifles. To me the whole point of having an AR15 is to be shorter and lighter. Does you get much muzzle blast at 16inches or is the powder fast enought to mostly burn up? Although i am a member here is still dont have a grendel. I have a 20 inch 1:9 AR and a 16" 1:7 AR in .556. So I really want a grendel or maybe even a 6mm ar but I want maxium performance in a short barrel.

Comment

I don't really notice much difference with the Grendel compared to the 5.56, especially in the prone. On video, I can hear that there is a more definite thump from the Grendel, but it's a pussycat to shoot all day long, just like 5.56 is.

I like that I can carry the little 16" around, yet still make easy hits on steel at 500m 1st-round with it, even in high winds. I would carry it over my .270 Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in a heartbeat for a hunt.

The 16" barrel length gives you about 2450fps with factory 123gr loads I think. There isn't a huge difference in trajectory and drift between it and a 20" Grendel.

Comment

are all the loads you guys use for 16" grendels mag fed? not single feed? I always heard from my fclass buddies that Amaxes like to be close to the lands. So are your amaxes maglength and jumping quite a bit?

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
              are all the loads you guys use for 16" grendels mag fed? not single feed? I always heard from my fclass buddies that Amaxes like to be close to the lands. So are your amaxes maglength and jumping quite a bit?
              I believe the 6.5mm 123gr A-max bullet was designed specifically for the Grendel. Hornady factory ammo is ~2.250" COL, which is shorter than mag length (considered to be 2.260, but many mags will allow COL to be a little longer). My 123gr A-max handloads also shoot well at ~2.250" COL.
              Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                All I run are mag-fed loads. There isn't a lot of jump because of the compound throat angle.

Comment

nice! Last time out I was hitting my steel gong at 400yds with my 16", love that thing.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

What scope are you using on your 16" LRRPF52?

Comment

Originally posted by Lead Chucker View Post
                      What scope are you using on your 16" LRRPF52?
                      Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD, SFP, zero stop.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

OH, very nice! Thanks LRRPF52! I have a Weaver tactical 3-15x50 on my 18" and love it. But was looking at something smaller and less $$ for a 16" build. Something that would get me to around 500 yrs. I have a 3-10 weaver grand slam tactical on my blkout and really like it. I was just wondering what you was using on yours. Thanks

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

My Leupold Mark AR 3 X 9 mil dot will get my 16" 6.5 Grendel to 800 yards at 300 ft above sea level with factory A-Max. Pretty darn impressive for a 16" barrel.

Comment

Working...
                          X