6.5 grendel vs rem.700 sps tactical acc sd in 308cal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 grendel vs rem.700 sps tactical acc sd in 308cal.

I want to find out if my alexander arms 6.5 grendel which has a 18" barrel fluted the upper is viltor mono.The rifle is a gas piston.Is there any way I could out shoot my remington it has a 20"barrel with the acc cap for a supressor.It also has a AICS chassis and a harris bipod.I would want to shoot from 800 to 1000 yards.I would use hornady 123gr a-max 6.5 grendel I will have to get some match ammo for the 308 and will use a millett LRS 6x25x56 on both rifles. My question is this will the grendel shoot better groups both guns have very low rd. counts the rem. is a 700 sps tactical acc sd 308cal.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jsolo View Post
    I want to find out if my alexander arms 6.5 grendel which has a 18" barrel fluted the upper is viltor mono.The rifle is a gas piston.Is there any way I could out shoot my remington it has a 20"barrel with the acc cap for a supressor.It also has a AICS chassis and a harris bipod.I would want to shoot from 800 to 1000 yards.I would use hornady 123gr a-max 6.5 grendel I will have to get some match ammo for the 308 and will use a millett LRS 6x25x56 on both rifles. My question is this will the grendel shoot better groups both guns have very low rd. counts the rem. is a 700 sps tactical acc sd 308cal.
    JS:

The answer is your stock Remington 700 SPS has a better chance of shooting more consistently than any stock semi-automatic rifle.

Neither is a good choice for 800 - 1000 but you can get away with hot loading your 700 and you absolutely will not get away with hot loading a AR-15.

If both bullets are marginally close in BC and both cartridges are marginally close in velocity, the exterior ballistics will be so close that you won't be able to tell the difference. So, your 2550 fps 123 A-Max load (a pretty stiff load for a AR-15 Grendel) and a 155 Sierra or Berger going at 2650 fps (a mild load with a 700), will not be significantly different. Same with a 175 Sierra @ 2600.

This leaves accuracy as about the only factor to compare. Bolt guns have the advantage hands down so you are now left with barrel quality. And you won't know that unless you have found one barrel simply will not shoot any loads well. Which means you got to test them.

So, you need to test both, and do so without prejudice.

LR1955

Comment

The Millett scopes will be the first failure point. They aren't worthy of being placed on top of a high-power rifle in my opinion, as the gears, optical element retention methods, and other critical components are susceptible to damage just by opening the box, let along sustaining 50-80g's of recoiling force.

A lot of stock Remington 700's have accuracy and headspace issues off the shelf, which is why so many people send them off to be accurized-

* Action trued
      * Barrel replaced with one that has more uniform bore dimensions, and is lapped well
      * Trigger work
      * Bottom metal work
      * Action bedding (not an issue for you because you have the AICS chassis)

For your AR15, the op-rod system will likely be your accuracy headache point, since having additional mass attached to the barrel that reciprocates doesn't bode well for accuracy.

Wind will be the biggest determining factor with both cartridges as the distance increases. I've shot them both past 1000yds in no-wind conditions, where hitting is simply a matter of dialing elevation, but they are both significantly influenced by wind starting at the point where your wind-reading skills will become the limiting factor.

Comment

Working...
      X