Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oklahomaman

Please Post Pix Actual 500yd+ Grendel Targets

Let's see some actual 500 yard and up Grendel targets.

The round is capable of outstanding accuracy, show what you have done with it!
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by oklahomaman View Post
    Let's see some actual 500 yard and up Grendel targets.

The round is capable of outstanding accuracy, show what you have done with it!
    OKMAN:

Too bad I threw out a couple of targets I shot a few years ago at 600 yards. Two consecutive five shot groups, each one at about 3/4 minute. I kept those targets for years but finally tossed them out. I don't normally keep targets around but in this case I did.

The groups were shot in very still conditions with a perfect light overcast. I shot them off of a couple of G.I. sand bags with a Nightforce tactical scope @ 10X. I shot one group and drove to the pits to see, came back to the firing line and shot the next group. So, it was more than chance or luck.

What did it prove? That a rifle with a decent barrel and accurate loads is capable of very good accuracy given one removes the environment as a variable.

I also sheared a bolt lug a couple of shots later. The load was 120 SMK with 30 grains of 2520 in case you want to know.

LR1955

Comment

Is shearing bolt lugs common with the Grendel? I'm still new here, and this is the second time I have seen it mentioned in two days.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

MrFrankZ only if you're shooting loads that push beyond the 52,000 psi pressure limit. The bolt is the weak link in the Grendel, per Bill A's design. The thought is, as I understand it, it's cheaper and easier to replace a bolt vs. a barrel or extension, and a sheared bolt is far less dangerous to the user than a blown barrel or extension. The system could be strengthened to accommodate 52+ ksi pressures, but the general consensus is the weight gain doesn't justify the minute gains in velocity.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

Comment

Here are two different groups shot by me and my BIL for his first time ever shooting at 500yds. He shot the 3rd group on the right with my 16" Grendel, and I shot the left 2rds before moving further. Wind conditions varied from 11-17mph at full value from left to right, from my best recollection. He was shooting with my wind calls. The other marks are from 5.56 that I didn't witness.

This was after my BIL flattened some 12" poppers at 300yds with the 90gr TNT.

Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Its not quite 500 yards, only 450. 8 inch plate, 5 consecutive shots.

123 Amax over 29 grains of TAC

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

A 3-shot group at 100 on paper taped to a 3-shot group at 600 on steel:

123gr Amax handload
                Drifter

Comment

First pic is five shots at 732 yards with factory Amax. IIRC the wind was about 7mph from 9o'clock. Group measured either 7.1 or 7.2.

Second pic is from 400 yards. 5 shots, i didnt measure, but the sticker measures 2.5" so its that or smaller. Ill measure tomorrow as the steel is there from this past weekend. Load was 123 SMK over 28.2 grains 8208. 5 mph headwind.

Richard
                  Attached Files

Comment

• oklahomaman

Very cool! Lots of great marksmen here!

Anyone else?

Comment

with a good barrel, ammo and shooter the Grendel is a fine very accurate round..
                      twice I have been able to hit a 20 OZ co2 bottle at 500 yds on the first shot .. This was done on 2 different days with different conditions
                      PS a 20OZ co2 bottle is about 3" wide and 12" to 13" tall

Comment

I didn't take many pics in recent years, but here are a few old ones:

600 yds:

800 yds:

1000 yds:

1100 yds:

Comment

Working...
                        X