• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
    not trying to be smart but im a shooter and i like a challange im not going to put a plate up the size of a bus and try to hit it lol ...i like do do what others tell me is dumb ,yes it may take me a lot of trial and error but i wont quit in till i can see if the round is just not able to do what i want it to do
    JW:

What do you want the round to do for you?

LR1955

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      I also have easy access to ranges in excess of that. Just send me your ammo and I'll do the shooting for you. I promise...
      hahah ok whats ur addy ....special handloads they are ornge foam with a stiky tip

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
        JW:

What do you want the round to do for you?

LR1955
        hit my intended target at 1600 yards ,and then i can move on and when i hear these people say its an 800yrd round ill know i can laugh at them {{well ill laugh at them ether way}}

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

FYI...

Article - Shooting A 223 To A Mile Accurately

"The rock is 12" wide and 8" high as we see it! (I did measure the rock beforehand)

6 out of 7 rds well inside a sub MOA rock at "1 mile". I'll take that...."

Comment

Reminds me of the time I tried walking rounds into a 1'x2' steel plate with a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special from the 200 yd line. Don't recall hitting the steel, but it was fun to try for a couple cylinders to see where the slugs splashed into the berm.

Comment

Originally posted by appleseed-kdc View Post
              FYI...

Article - Shooting A 223 To A Mile Accurately

"The rock is 12" wide and 8" high as we see it! (I did measure the rock beforehand)

6 out of 7 rds well inside a sub MOA rock at "1 mile". I'll take that...."

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...223-mile-1.php
              Interesting article indeed. Note the velocities he was launching some very spear-like projectiles with...

"The 80gr Amax are running 2825ish fps. The 75gr Amax 2950ish fps."

Those are way higher BC projectiles at way higher velocities than you will get with any comparable bullet through the Grendel. He was using a custom .223 bench gun with an amazingly-accurate barrel, which he claimed shot below 1/8th MOA at 200yds, which is what the bench crowd looks for in a good pipe.

Also notice the weather constraints that severely limited his firing strings. Most people that get into the Grendel are doing so for some practical purpose. Since the weather is usually practically not practical, our 1st-round or ethical hit distances are much more prudent. It is what it is.

That being said, it might be fun for strictly academic purposes to sit around and wait for a perfect wind condition to get rounds on target at 1600yds. For those that need to make practical shots in given wind conditions, with time-critical windows of opportunity, there won't be any laughing either way, just shots at much shorter distances...like 400-700yds, with the occasional folks that like to shoot at 800+ in mild wind conditions.

The biggest advantage one will gain from such a pursuit will be in watching wind conditions, and seeing their effects on projectiles at extreme distances. To each is own as to how they spend their time. Interesting to see the results.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Actually the 80 grain AMAX has only a .453 BC and the 75 grain a .435.

A long tube Grendel will pump the 123 AMAX/Sierra/Lapua out at around 2750 FPS. With their BC's, the drop and drift numbers are within an MOA or two, with the drop advantage to the .224 and the drift advantage to the 6.5.

He was using a rifle that would be hard to match with a Grendel AR, though, with a barrel that was well proven to give exceptional accuracy.

I would like to see the Grendel Panda put together by Bob Stokes shoot some hot loads at that range though!
                Last edited by bwaites; 08-12-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ss355 View Post
                  Reminds me of the time I tried walking rounds into a 1'x2' steel plate with a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special from the 200 yd line. Don't recall hitting the steel, but it was fun to try for a couple cylinders to see where the slugs splashed into the berm.
                  Been there, done that -- rocks at long distance with a .44. Lot's of fun!

Comment

• LRS_Ranger

Reading this thread, it inspires me to shoot at the 1400 yard line next time I go out to the spot. I have really good results on a 12 inch steel at 950 yards; I'll be interested to see what happens at 1400. I imagine I'll have to shoot a sighter and then follow up before the wind changes...

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      Actually the 80 grain AMAX has only a .453 BC and the 75 grain a .435.

A long tube Grendel will pump the 123 AMAX/Sierra/Lapua out at around 2750 FPS. With their BC's, the drop and drift numbers are within an MOA or two, with the drop advantage to the .224 and the drift advantage to the 6.5.

He was using a rifle that would be hard to match with a Grendel AR, though, with a barrel that was well proven to give exceptional accuracy.

I would like to see the Grendel Panda put together by Bob Stokes shoot some hot loads at that range though!
                      The listed BC's for 123 AMAX aren't the same at such low velocities out of the Grendel, and are probably higher on the .224 AMAX's at those velocities out of the bolt gun. I guess it's basically an academic argument, because I probably won't be attempting any shots with a Grendel past 1k. With my current set-up in the 16", I won't feel comfortable shooting past 600, unless the wind is dead or slow and predictable.

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

This thread gets me to thinking about some GS customs single loaded into my 24" Grendel barrel. HMMMM?

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

you wont do it.......

Comment

• jwilson1985

mrsurgical ive also been thinking about some of the gs bullets..... i havent had a chance to get out to my intended distance yet ...done 1k a few times just havent had a good spotter with me and we have been busy following alot of the 3g guys we sponsor. im on work comp so its not like i dont have the time lol ,just hope to at least try b4 my surgery

Comment

• Glockzilla

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                              ok i know alot will say its not posable but but im wanting to try a 1500-1700 yrd shoot it my 18" 1-8.75 twist barrel once a load is worked up now for the critics ive seen a 20" 308 hit a 1540 yrd target so lets hear yals input thanks
                              As much as I love the 6.5G, 260rem and 6.5x284, anything beyond 1200yrd is a different story for me. At that distance I'm only interested in:

7WSM
                              7mmRemMag
                              300 WSM
                              300 WinMag
                              338 LapuaMag

Comment

• jwilson1985

true but it can be done ,though i was already beat to it with a 1600yard shot with a 24" grendel

Comment

Working...
                                X