a real long shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any links, i was thinking about shimming my scope a little more. lol 1200 is all i can get to right now.

Comment

• jwilson1985

i like the scope rimgs but they r high ...just google moa rail or rings

Comment

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
        any links, i was thinking about shimming my scope a little more. lol 1200 is all i can get to right now.
        When you start pushing out that far on a regular basis, it's time to invest in a high-end optic with plenty of elevation travel, even with an MOA base. You'll want more than 85 MOA plus a 20 MOA base to start playing in that ball park. Basically, look at Vortex Razor HD, NightForce, & USO for starters, then get into S&B or Premier. The glass quality will also really help with target resolution and aiming accurately. It's serious coin, but shooting at those distances reliably is what it is.

DTA makes different MOA cant, 1-piece bases.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          When you start pushing out that far on a regular basis, it's time to invest in a high-end optic with plenty of elevation travel, even with an MOA base. You'll want more than 85 MOA plus a 20 MOA base to start playing in that ball park. Basically, look at Vortex Razor HD, NightForce, & USO for starters, then get into S&B or Premier. The glass quality will also really help with target resolution and aiming accurately. It's serious coin, but shooting at those distances reliably is what it is.

DTA makes different MOA cant, 1-piece bases.

i just built the grendel and have had it out only 2x. Im running a viper scope, so i think i will stay at 1200 for a while. maybe a rem 260 and a NF when the funds allow for the longer stuff.

Comment

long range?

I know this may not be news, but practice, practice, practice. Get to know your rifle. When I was a kid, I would spend every summer at my cousin's farm. His neighbor had horses- and a field with lots of groundhogs. Once or twice a week we would take his Marlin .22LR and head over to his neighbor's house. His neighbor would give us a bunch of .22 rounds and pay us for each groundhog killed- and buy us pizza for lunch. My cousin and I would spend hours shooting; not just groundhogs, however. We would set up targets from probably 25 feet out to the end of the pasture. One day we took aim at the old defunct fire whistle that had to be 500-600 yards away (maybe more) at the bottom of a ravine. We must have shot at that thing for 2 or 3 days before we hit it. But once we started hitting it, we were able to do it about 60% of the time. Moral of the story- Know your rifle and practice.

Comment

• jwilson1985

yes that and know what you can do,thats why it still amazes me when people say the grendel is no more the a 600-700 yard cartridge.1 of 2 things they dont have enough trigger time behind it and are mad when the cant hit past that or the have read to many b.s statements on forums. i base all my info off of what i have personally seen,or done...Point the 762x51/308 has worse ballistics and velocity,then the grendel yet the military still uses and considers it a 1000 yard cartridge.point being as you stated know your own limits

Comment

• jessegibson1978

You can use a canted base and Burris rings with the plastic inserts to gain around 40 moa total. I think that most range limitations people are referring to are from energy figures and velocity to get reliable bullet expansion. However it sure would be fun to try at a mile.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                  yes that and know what you can do,thats why it still amazes me when people say the grendel is no more the a 600-700 yard cartridge.1 of 2 things they dont have enough trigger time behind it and are mad when the cant hit past that or the have read to many b.s statements on forums. i base all my info off of what i have personally seen,or done...Point the 762x51/308 has worse ballistics and velocity,then the grendel yet the military still uses and considers it a 1000 yard cartridge.point being as you stated know your own limits
                  JW:

How about a description of your test? Things like target size, rifles used, sighting systems, environmental conditions, ammunition used (both 6.5 and .30 caliber), controls used, statistical analysis, etc.

I am also sure that Stan is interested to see how you define a service grade Grendel and particularly service grade ammunition.

LR1955

Comment

• acelungger

Hey JW,
                    If you will wait untill it gets warmer, since I live in S.E. Kansas, I don't live that far, I would love to come down and spot for you, I would even turn you some solidsif you tell me what you want! I sure would likw to do some 600yds shooting.
                    Pm or email me and we can talk things over!
                    Greg
                    Can I bring my Grendel and it bother 243WSSM AR?

Comment

• jwilson1985

lr you posted that on my surgery date, i just realized it was even back alive...when im able to shoot again ill do one better, ill make a video for you buddy.if that would be any better,ive been wanting to do this anyway.

though that has already been done.

ace id love to shoot with anyone.
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                        lr you posted that on my surgery date, i just realized it was even back alive...when im able to shoot again ill do one better, ill make a video for you buddy.if that would be any better,ive been wanting to do this anyway.

though that has already been done.

ace id love to shoot with anyone.
                        JW:

Don't sweat it. Do the right things with your recovery and physical therapy so you can get back to normal function again.

LR55

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                          JW:

Don't sweat it. Do the right things with your recovery and physical therapy so you can get back to normal function again.

LR55
                          i will do thank you ....but i have been wanting to put together a nice video,so when im able(it will be a while) ill compare my grendel and my buddies 700 308 which shoots awesome. he has a grendel also ,oh forgot the 700 is his 6mo old sons lol
                          really makes me miss my 308 :-/

Comment

Yesturday I cooldn't spell Grendle, tooday I's shuuts one.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QIKdraw View Post
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by QIKdraw View Post
                                here we go again!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X