• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EPeterson
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

barrel issue

I was cleaning my old AA barrel thinking to possibly sell it when I noticed this cut in the bore/rifling. I've never experienced great accuracy with this barrel, having gotten disgusted with its lack of accuracy, 2-3moa with Hornady ammo. Could this be the reason why the barrel would shoot so poorly? I took this barrel off and put a Lilja on it and my accuracy hovers around moa.IMG_0034.jpg
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I would say that's probably the issue with the barrel. Have you tried a bronze brush to see if it's could be a carbon ring? Keep us updated on the findings. Interesting.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• EPeterson
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2014

I've vigorously scrubbed it with a bronze brush and Hoppe's #9. I'm pretty sure it's a cut. It goes around about 2/3 of the barrel, approximately 3/4in down the tube.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

I'm not sure what could have caused it other than a piloted crown cutting tool with an oversized pilot. I'm not even sure if AA uses those or not. Probably worth contacting Bill A about it though. I'm sure he will make it right if it's determined to b a manufacturing defect.

Richard

Comment

• EPeterson
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

Here's a better pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Good pic. Wasn't caused by an oversized pilot, if it were it would've only marked the lands, not the grooves. I have seen barrels over the years from many of my uncles gunsmith acquaintances that came from the factory like that. Not sure what causes it, but I betcha Bill A can shed some light. I'm about to do some googling and see what I can find out

Richard

Comment

• EPeterson
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2014

Yes, about there.

Comment

Working...
              X