Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • appleseed-kdc

Wolf cases

Let me run something by you with a couple of photo's attached.

I have a Alexander Arms (AA) Grendel 6.5. I have barely shot more than 150 rounds though it over 3-years. I kept getting jams (failure to load) ever 4-6 rounds. So I contacted AA, dropped it off and they "polished and blended feed ramps, replaced faulty disconector". I requested that when it was working they put 25 rounds per each 7 magazine (175 rounds total) of Wolf 120gr MPT through it, which they did with no failures.

So I'm clearing and re-organizing and come across my Grendel reloading stuff that I bought with the rifle 3-years ago. One, of which, was a Sheridan Stainless Steel gauge.

So, being curious, I test my ammo.

Precision Firearms reloads - 123 gr Hornady A-Max.
    Original Hornady - 123 gr Hornady A-Max.
    AA manufactured - 123g Lapua Scenar.
    Black Hills Gold - 123gr Sierra matchking.
    Wolf - 120gr MPT

Attached is a pic of the wolf. They all appear in spec.

Now the real meat.

I grabbed some fired wolf MPT cases and tried them. See last picture.

To me, it seems the chamber is large and its blowing the case so it won't fit in the gauge ?

What do you think ???
    Attached Files
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Most fired cases in a semi-auto will not fit in the chamber gage after firing. The case expands in the process, and does not completely shrink down to prefired size, that's why cases have to be resized after firing in order to be reloaded.

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

OK, that's a relief - I guess I thought that they would be a reasonable fit and therefore not expand much.

I was hoping I didn't have another problem.

Thanks bwaites.

ADD: I'm pretty sure I have fired 4 or 5 AA 123 scenars, so am looking for the cases to compare. I have about 125 fired Wolf MPT and found 2 with no primers. Is that sort of average/expected ?

ADD-2: Found them. Not as much expansion of the case (ie. they go further into the gauge). They are stamped alex-a 6.5 gren
      Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by appleseed-kdc View Post
        OK, that's a relief - I guess I thought that they would be a reasonable fit and therefore not expand much.

I was hoping I didn't have another problem.

Thanks bwaites.

ADD: I'm pretty sure I have fired 4 or 5 AA 123 scenars, so am looking for the cases to compare. I have about 125 fired Wolf MPT and found 2 with no primers. Is that sort of average/expected ?

ADD-2: Found them. Not as much expansion of the case (ie. they go further into the gauge). They are stamped alex-a 6.5 gren
        AA brass is made by Lapua, widely recognized as the best brass made. Wolf brass is noticeably softer, and will expand more than AA/Lapua. No surprise in what you found.

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

That's great...thanks for the help/advice.

Waiting for David Southall (NRA Instructor) to come back with new dates for the reloading course. Will start with 5.56 and 9mm.

Thanks again.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Consider this, if the chamber were larger then you would not have any problem chambering a standard sized cartridge. If the chamber were smaller then chambering problems would occur!

Comment

Working...
            X