28" barrel short stroking-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolff also makes a reduced-power buffer spring that may be worth testing before attacking the gas port.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      LR1955 related to me that his gunsmith has seen high power shooters with clogged gas systems in AR15's using N500 series powders. The high velocities are attractive, but there is a price to be paid.
      Residue is my only beef with VV powder I tried. You should see the crud in my chrony after shooting the stuff. Looked like I had been fire forming with cream of wheat filler. It was not unburned powder as I collected a pile of it and laid a match to it with no resulting combustion. I can not say it clogged my gas system though, but then again it was N110 not one of the N5xx powders.

Hoot
      Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2011, 12:56 PM. Reason: addl info

Comment

My question is ....... does the rifle shortstroke using commercial ammo or just with your reloads?? I would shoot some wolf through and see if it still short strokes. If it functions fine with the wolf (or hornady or whatever), then you don't need to mess with the make up or your rifle.

Crap ...... Kamrr beat me to it ...... LOL.

Comment

Finally got a chance to shoot some today. Had taken the bolt out of the end on the buffer tube to release pressure and had picked up some Hornady ammo. On the first shot it locked back. That was the only time that it worked. Shot 10 rounds of factory ammo and only lock open once but it did eject each time. Changed springs and buffer to several configuration and still the same thing, ejection of brass but no lock back of bolt.

I brought the rifle home and drilled out the gas hole in the barrel to .106. Will go tomorrow to range and recheck to see if function is ok.

Comment

Drilled the gas port in barrel to .106 worked fine. Even went with a stiffer spring and lighter buffer with no problems other than being left handed and have hot brass land on you neck-Ouch!!! Thanks for all the help and pointers.

Comment

Make yourself a deflector with a picatinny attachment

Comment

It has a brass deflector, the side charging handle. I must remember to wear a collarless shirt.

Comment

Working...
                X