Adams Bolt Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adams Bolt Springs

I have two wonderful Grendels. Both are Saber uppers via Midway, and both are AA lowers with PRS stock via Umlaut.

The second one is the gas piston version using Adams Arms hardware complete with their bolt spring.

My problem is the piston rig gets a lot of stove pipes, with the brass caught by the bolt before it is ejected fully. And a new round is already in place.

I have been trying different methods before removing the spring. None of my LWRC rifles have this feature.

I am concerned it disrupts the timing of the bolt action.

Yesterday, I had 3 of 20 caught with Wolf Gold 123 gr Copper SP Brass Case, 1 of 20 for Black Hills Gold 123 gr Matchking, 2 of 20 with AA 120 BT Nosler, and 0 of 20 for Hornady 123 gr A-Max.

Anyone have experience with this problem and solution?

Thanks, and I am really glad I tried the old link one more time today!
  • Brad Heavener

Check the corners of your extractor for sharp edges. The Saber upper I used would not let the round eject when hand cycling and would cause flakey ejection when firing. A couple strokes with a stone solved the problem for me. Now works great. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ok, I will look closely.

Was your flakey about 10% of the time?

Should I check rim thickness on these different ammos? They seem to work fine in the #1 with direct gas impinge bolt.

Thanks

Comment

• Brad Heavener

More like 40% of the time.

All ammo was AA brand.

The upper was a competition special with direct gas impinge bolt.

What was happening was the extractor was digging into the case rim and not allowing the case to release easy.
        After the stoning the rounds would release properly.

I had to use a jewlers file on the top of the rim to remove the burs on the first rounds fired before I fixed the problem. They would hang up going in my shell holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Heavener View Post
          Check the corners of your extractor for sharp edges. The Saber upper I used would not let the round eject when hand cycling and would cause flakey ejection when firing. A couple strokes with a stone solved the problem for me. Now works great. Hope this helps.
          I had that problem a couple of years ago on a AA Overwatch upper. After I deburred the extractor and polished it, it runs great.

Comment

I had similar problems. I traced it back to an overpowerful extractor spring. The overly powerful extractor spring pushed the cartridge onto the opposite side of the bolt so hard that it couldn't pop off quickly enough to get out of the bolt's recess while the bolt was functioning. When I removed the little donut around the exractor spring, the cycling problems went away.

A good way to test this is to slip a case under the extractor as it would be in the firing position. When you release the pressure that holds the case in position, the ejector should instantly throw the case clear of the extractor. If there is any hesitation or stickiness prior to the ejector working, the case can't get out of the way before the bolt will be going forward again, and will cause a malfunction.

Comment

Working...
            X