• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

All things being equal, one rifle is off .5mil at 280 yards

A while back I took the GF and her two daughters out to practice. Confirmed zero at 100, all three of them were shooting their usual .7 MOA. All three have Howas Mini 1500 Grrr, all have Vortex Viper PST 6-24 and matching rings, mounted and leveled. All have bedded actions. All were shooting the same box of Hornady American Gunner.

I set up some steel plates finally and the GF was ready to start running longer and I just guessed a scope adjustment of 1.8 (I was in the middle of a ladder test).

She dialed her scope and smacked the crap out of a 4" diamond at 280 first shot. The two daughters were then ready to start playing and I was done so I looked up the dope for their two rifles and they were both 1.3 mil (both got first round hits). I verified the GF dope and she should have been 1.3 also. I had her dial back down to 1.3 and she was hitting low - repeatedly. Back to 1.8 and nailed it.

I had her let me try it and sure as heck, 1.8 was dead on and 1.3 was low. I verified the numbers in the Hornady app, verified her MV and everything was nuts on. I started pushing numbers around and it was taking some unrealistic changes to get the numbers to 1.8 mil for 280 yards.

I recently did a turret tracking test at 150 yards on her Vortex Viper PST 6-24. I did a zero verification and shot a 4 round group of .59 before I started.
    That showed that tracking up, all hits were within .8 MOA of where it should have been. I ran from .7mil up to 2.8, moved over right .5, then worked my way back down. The tracking showed over travel on the return side, but still .8" of where it should have hit.

I'm stumped. Either the scope was acting weird that day and has corrected itself, or there is another hidden problem I can not find. IIRC I took some shots the first day out to 780 and was hitting right where the dope said it should.

Suggestions?
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Inconsistent tracking on the Vortex?
      Isn't that what the lifetime warranty is for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

If it acts up again, shooting the same target with a reticle hold would enable you to isolate whether or not its the dialing.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Have you chronographed both rifles with the same exact load with 10rd samples per?

One might be shooting slower, especially if it has lower round count.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            At first blush, it sounds like a tracking issue. If it continues to randomly happen, maybe dismount and re install the scope and mount? That’s weird, and especially frustrating considering the intermittent happenstance.
            Really frustrating since the GF has shot at two SRM and did miserable. Might have been a scope issue all along since she is a consistent sub MOA shooter on paper and a fair portion of the steel is 1.7 MOA except for the 600+ ranges.

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
            Inconsistent tracking on the Vortex?
            Isn't that what the lifetime warranty is for?
            They are getting a call tomorrow.

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            If it acts up again, shooting the same target with a reticle hold would enable you to isolate whether or not its the dialing.
            I should have thought of that. Damnit.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Have you chronographed both rifles with the same exact load with 10rd samples per?

One might be shooting slower, especially if it has lower round count.
            All the three ladies have shot is American Gunner. The last two crono checks for the dope put hers at 2476, and that day she was having issues, I strapped on the magnetospeed and 5 shots avg 2476 under 10 for the SD - nuts on.

All three have about 45 fps difference in FPS with American Gunner, so they have the same dope out to about 450.

We will see what Vortex has to say. I am concerned about the over travel on the return to zero.
            20180528_172303.jpg20180528_172346.jpg

If it's not the optics, then I am not sure where to look on the rifle. I would think the crown would not allow a .591 group and still dive the bullet .5 mil low at 280.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Consistently higher on the way back down seems like it would be excess play in the turret.

Comment

Working...
              X