Ruining bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruining bullets

Tell me if I'm doing something wrong here, when loading rifle pull bolt back and lock insert mag. release about 50 to 75 percent of the time I wind up ruining the tip of bullets because of missing the chamber,lodging at 35 degree angle in the ext. part of the barrel.
    I've bent my mags. up then I bent em back down. It suxs screwing Barnes bullets.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Given the fact that you already tried tweaking your Grendel specific mags, I assume you already tried polishing the feed ramp part of the extension as well? I've had to do that to a few folks ARs to get them running reliably for them. Not to insult your intelligence, but if you bult your rig from discreet components, you're not using a rifle extension on an M4 receiver are you? That can sometimes result in a lip that catches the tips. Easily remedied, but some times forgotten during the TS process.

I can relate to the agony of ruining expensive bullets. I had to pull down a couple dozen rounds in a different caliber that used Barnes as well. Every one I pulled, I winced as I do not reuse bullets that have had their dimensions changed from being seated already. It was like opening the window and tossing dollar bills out into the wind one by one.

Hoot
    Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

It's basically a factory AA tac 16 its been back to AA arms for several reasons twice they said they polished ramps and they look as if they have.
      I know all the mags are basically the same but I have ,AR stoner , C-products, and AA arms, marked and it seems to happen with all of em.

Comment

• leopard6.5

mrclif:
        Could you post some pictures of the upper receiver into the barrel extension?

Also, could you post some pictures of your magazines so we can see if anything looks wrong to us?

Thanks and hopefully we can be of some help.

Lee

Comment

I'll try to take pics tonight.
          Thanks

Comment

Does this happen with every mag you try? While shooting my Grendel carbine a couple weeks ago, I had terrible failures to feed from one side of a mag. These failures to chamber resulted in huge dents in the shoulder of the case where the shoulder came into contact with the lugs of the extension. I removed the offending mag and immediately noticed that one of the feed lips was not like the other. After comparing the feed lips to another mag to make sure I was bending the correct lip, a little tweaking with a pair of pliers remedied the failures. Doesn't really sound like this is the issue in your case, but it's an easy and cheap thing to check.

Comment

Sorry for quality of pics
              Looks like the left side has been worked more than the right side of the extension
              Thanks,Mitch
              Attached Files

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Any chance that you have a different lower that you could test the upper with? Perhaps it's a slight difference in how mags snap into a lower receiver, or maybe the upper / lower fit, but a different lower can sometimes seemingly make a difference regarding feeding / reliability with the Grendel. Easy to test if you have access to another lower....
                Drifter

Comment

Thats a big negative on the spare lower, might can bum one from a buddy and check it out.
                  Bad thing about it dont happen all the time. I think its mag releated, you load a mag full and it seems like the bullet can move to much. Seems to be that way till you get down to about four or five rounds in mag.
                  Its a shame we have such a good platform, but cant get some decent mags.

Comment

Are those the 17rd mags by any chance? If so, you need to try different ones. Take some side profile shots of the mags and I can probably tell if the feed lip angle is correct. Your feed ramps look ok to me. How many mags do you have? What types?

Comment

• jwilson1985

your not by chance resting on the mag while shooting are you?

Comment

Most of the time it only happens while loading, every once and a while it will jam the same way while shooting but not near as often. Lately to load I remove bullet from mag insert into chamber and let bolt go and insert mag.
                        I'll get some more pics of mags. I use mostly 10 rd mags because I hunt with it. I notice some of the mags hold 9 rds some 10 some 11. I have AA,cp,and ar stoner marked mags.
                        Most of my shooting is somewhat off hand, when I'm on a bench I've a caldwell leadsled designed for ar type rifles with no mag interference.
                        Thanks,Mitch

Comment

Sat down the other night and took the two mags I carry most and dissassembled them. Bent the lips till they conformed to the bullet case the best I could. So far I've no failures to feed. So the point is I rekon theres a happy medium in bending your mags.
                          Got my fingers crossed and hoping for no more issues.
                          Thanks for the help,Mitch

Comment

Working...
                          X