• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ported45
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Bullets being inertia pulled while chambering

Thought I would start my own thread on this.

Started out that my Grendel reloads were growing in COL by 0.005" when fed from the magazine by either fully pulling the charging handle and releasing or just popping the bolt release to chamber up a round. Then came the Lee Factory Crimp die. Slowly adjusted from recommended lighter crimp to "make your own deep cannalure" crimping. No dice. Still bullets sliding FORWARD in the cartridge neck the same 0.005". I was gravitating toward replacing the standard carbine spring that came with my lower with a reduced power recoil spring.

I think that I had read somewhere on here that somebody was increasing their tension by sizing without the expander ball. I tried that and immediately the COL growth stops at only 0.002".

I am going to give reloading a go by just sizing with the expander ball out and see what happens.

I will report back when I eventually get around to shooting again.

BTW- thanks for everyone's input on the other threads where I have thrown this out there!!
    Last edited by ported45; 08-08-2018, 11:53 AM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

What die are you using to size your cases, because in the past 9 years of regularly loading for this cartridge, I've just not seen this issue.

I've been using Hornady New Dimension™ dies.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Ported,

Given your concern about this on the other thread I used the Hornady gauge to check several hand-loads by ejecting from the chamber without firing. None of the bullets have moved. I have to agree with 52', your situation is not normal and it all boils down to not enough neck tension in an auto loader.

Removing the expander is a poor-mans version of a bushing die. The expander ball expands the inside neck out a little more than what the top part of the die has crushed. I use a Forster without the expander which leave's the neck .0035" less than when loaded with a bullet. That's good enough to keep bullets from moving.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I should have mentioned that I polished my expander football in my sizing die as well, since they often come with tooling marks perpendicular to the range of motion and can use some TLC in that regard.

If I were making dies, I would look at tumble-polishing my expanders, but that would add cost as well.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Mad Charlie
          Warrior
          • May 2017

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
          Thought I would start my own thread on this.

Started out that my Grendel reloads were growing in COL by 0.005" when fed from the magazine by either fully pulling the charging handle and releasing or just popping the bolt release to chamber up a round. Then came the Lee Factory Crimp die. Slowly adjusted from recommended lighter crimp to "make your own deep cannalure" crimping. No dice. Still bullets sliding FORWARD in the cartridge neck the same 0.005". I was gravitating toward replacing the standard spring that came with my lower with a reduced power recoil spring.

I think that I had read somewhere on here that somebody was increasing their tension by sizing without the expander ball. I tried that and immediately the COL growth stops at only 0.002".

I am going to give reloading a go by just sizing with the expander ball out and see what happens.

I will report back when I eventually get around to shooting again.

BTW- thanks for everyone's input on the other threads where I have thrown this out there!!
          I had exactly the same problem, and solved it just like Klem did. I also use Forster dies.

Comment

• ported45
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            What die are you using to size your cases, because in the past 9 years of regularly loading for this cartridge, I've just not seen this issue.

I've been using Hornady New Dimension™ dies.
            I'm using the Hornady dies, too.

Comment

• ported45
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Also forgot to mention that Hornady Black factory rounds showed the same 0.005" forward movement.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by ported45 View Post
                Also forgot to mention that Hornady Black factory rounds showed the same 0.005" forward movement.
                That is pretty important to the discussion and moves it out of a reload problem. Are you using a rifle or carbine spring? What weight buffer are you using? What type BCG, AR15, M16, low mass, etc.?

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                  Warrior
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                  That is pretty important to the discussion and moves it out of a reload problem. Are you using a rifle or carbine spring? What weight buffer are you using? What type BCG, AR15, M16, low mass, etc.?
                  Yes, this is important information. Please fill us in.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

I’d sure like to know the answer here : my bullets move forward as well when being chambered.

I never thought to try them in another Grendel I just ASSumed it was my reloading technique.

Do you have another Grendel to try them in that’s the tell tale....

Comment

• ported45
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                      Standard carbine spring and buffer. M16 bcg.

I think this is a lot more common than people think. Most either fire everything they have in the mag or don't think about measuring their rounds that have been chambered and not shot.
                      Last edited by ported45; 08-08-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• ported45
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
                        I’d sure like to know the answer here : my bullets move forward as well when being chambered.

I never thought to try them in another Grendel I just ASSumed it was my reloading technique.

Do you have another Grendel to try them in that’s the tell tale....

I have another upper on the way. The BCA upper that I was using had been replaced three times for short throats and the last one I got (not short throated!) gave me worse groups than the two I tried with short throats! 5.25" group with Hornady Black.

BCA sent me a UPS postage print to return the upper for a refund. I quit after 4!

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                          Warrior
                          • May 2017

Both of my rifles do it. AA barreled upper and Satern barreled upper.
                          Satern upper has Spikes T3 buffer with std. spring, AA upper has Spikes T2 with std. spring.
                          Both have M16 carriers.

Haven't measured factory rounds yet, also plan to measure my 5.56 rifles with M855 and M193.
                          Last edited by Mad Charlie; 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I hone the expander, to get 4k, and take it out to get 5k of neck tension from my Forster die. Nothing moves, brass lasts and lasts,,, Lapua brass is the way to go.

I use a Noveske H2 carbine buffer, std. spring. Works in the 20" & the 16'.
                            Last edited by sneaky one; 08-09-2018, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

So I have been following this for a bit and decided to take all three of my grendels and see if I could get one of them to make this happen with factory ammo and my handloads.

One lower has jp lowmass bcg and jp scs
                              Second lower has PF m16 profile bcg and gen 2 scs
                              Third lower has jp low mass bcg and Tubbs extra power carbine spring and h3 buffer

Tested this with 5,10,24 and 26 round mags made by elander,cpd,asc and the old cp company plus some 5 round pmags.

I used eld-m,sst,fusion,tnt,nbt,ttsx all factory loads plus my 85 grain Trex handloads.

I cycled 5 of each round two times through each mag in each lower and measured each round before and after.

Not one round changed messurment, no matter how I tryed it I couldn't make my gear do what you say yours is doing.

Could it be your just not getting enough neck tention and or getting enough crimp on your loads?

Comment

Working...
                              X