• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c3k
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

Thanks! Reading these threads fixed my issue

Folks,

I just built my first Grendel. 18" Alexander Arms, Adams Arms Piston kit (micro adjustable block), etc.

I used a standard lower parts kit. I was having failure of the bolt to lock after last round (6 different Elander magazines: all had same issue). Also, sometimes the bolt would close without feeding a round. Sometimes it would jam up against a misfed round.
    Adjusting the gas did not fix the issue.

So... I read a little bit. I changed out my standard weight (3.0 oz.) carbine bolt and tossed in an H2 (4.5 oz.) from Primary Arms.

Presto Magicko! All my feed and other issues were fixed.

Just wanted to say a "thanks" to the community. Without having to post a thread, I was able to learn for others' issues and the advice offered to them.

Ken
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Well Congrats and good luck. Let us know how it shoots.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

External piston systems normally are mated with unusually heavy buffers because the gas acting on the piston cup or head causes instantaneous carrier inertia, which is bad for extraction so close to obturation.

Every company that has seriously tackled the external op-rod guns has used very heavy buffers to act as a rate reducer, and they are usually combined with heavier action/recoil springs.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• c3k
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        External piston systems normally are mated with unusually heavy buffers because the gas acting on the piston cup or head causes instantaneous carrier inertia, which is bad for extraction so close to obturation.

Every company that has seriously tackled the external op-rod guns has used very heavy buffers to act as a rate reducer, and they are usually combined with heavier action/recoil springs.
        That was EXACTLY what I meant to say.

In a serious vein, I've followed a LOT of what you've written. I'd like to say "thank you" for sharing some of your incredible depth of knowledge. I've gained a lot from it.

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Working...
        X