• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoneHiking
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2018

Short Stroking Quandary: SOLVED

UPDATE - SOLVED!

I had issues with a new Grendel build short cycling. I started with Hornady Black 123 ELD, and then moved on to reloads, hoping things would "loosen up". I tried both AA 17 Round Grendel mags and several USGI mags, tried the upper on 3 different lowers, and had the upper apart twice looking for problems. I was able to get a few rounds of Hornady to randomly cycle at one point, but that was it. After measuring the gas port, I began thinking it might be too small. I didn't want to mess up my new barrel with a handheld drill, particularly since I wasn't totally convinced that was the problem, so I handed the gun off to our club's AR guru (ffl). He looked everything over and also concluded the 0.088" gas port was too small, so he locked the upper in his milling machine and reamed it out first to 0.093". That got everything cycling, but only my factory Hornady Black ELD ammo would lock the bolt open. My softer reloads would not. So he reamed it out to 0.098". I just tried 5 singly loaded reloads, and each locked the bolt back with the cases landing in a nice little pile at 4:00. Problem solved.

The Build
    New Grendel build, 18" Wilson Combat RLGS barrel, Wilson Combat gas block, Fail Zero BCG, Magpul UBR 2.0 stock, Strike Industries flat wire buffer spring, standard weight buffer.

Until I could get it to the gunsmith, I did some load development with a chronograph and 5 shot groups at 100 yards. (Manually charging each round.) A combo of CCI 450 primers, 27.5 grns of AR Comp, with 123 SMKs gave the best results.

100 Yd, 0.62" Group

Everything else I tried from 26.3 grns to 28.1 grns still shot well, 0.87" to 1.15", but with bigger velocity spreads. With the gas port now bigger, I may or may not need to refine that load. I'm also hoping it will do even better since I recently bought an actual shooting rest to use instead of rolled up carpet and sandbags.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 04-19-2019, 03:09 AM. Reason: Solved
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I know my 20” rifle length gas 6.5 Grendel is the smoothest most well balanced gas system upper I own. Without knowing the size of the gas port in your Wilson Combat barrel I’d suspect the new Strike Industries Flat Wire spring has greater resistance than the carbine spring. I know E-Lander magazine springs are very stiff but once they wear in and take set they are much easier to load.

I suspect the carbine spring compresses easier than the new flat wire spring and is enough to function wheras the new Flat Wire spring doesn’t. I suspect the biggest difference is the spring. If this happened to me I’d put the flat wire spring in another lower and use a mil spec carbine spring for a while. Could be a combination of tight new upper and flat wire buffer spring. Once everything wears in (upper/buffer spring) it might prove to be 100% reliable.

Comment

• GoneHiking
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2018

The gun at least cycled on Day 2 (21-40 rnds) with the original config, so that really has me scratching my head. Your suggestion, though, is where I was headed with swapping out the buffer spring. FYI, I wasn't overly impressed with the Strike Eagle flat wire spring. Perhaps it's due to it being a carbine length in the UBR 2.0 stock, but there's still a twang compared to the Tubbs flat wire spring in the rifle stock of my NRA High Power service rifle. With the RL Tubbs, you can barely (audibly) tell whether the bolt locks back or not. It's that sweet.

Comment

• imaguy3
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

Make sure your gas key is tight on the bolt. I had an improperly staked one work loose years ago and it exhibited similar symptoms. You could be borderline on your gas to start with, and if you lose anything b/c of a loose key it can act undergassed.

It took a while to figure out, but snugging the the gas key fixed it, then I made sure it would never happen again lol.
        Last edited by imaguy3; 03-03-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Ryan91
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2019

You ever figure out why it was short stroking? Im looking at getting that same barrel. This will be my first Grendel build. Any reason why i should or shouldn't go with the Wilson Combat barrel? Any info would be appreciated.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

So it works with standard coil springs, but not the flat wire spring you have.

Sounds like you solved your problem.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• GoneHiking
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2018

Update - Problem solved in (edited) original post.

Comment

Working...
              X