• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brian y
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
    Brian,

You've got me thinking this is like when I reload for 9mm handgun. I take the barrel out and use it as a 'rifle gauge'. I hold it upright, drop the loaded round in, place my thumb over the base and give a gentle press; this to simulate going into battery. Then turn it upside down and see if it drops out freely. Factory rounds always do. Reloads will only di that if I size the bejeezus out of the case. I have learnt that just because it doesn;t fall out freely doesn't mean it's not going to cycle. As long as my I can pinch it back out reasonably easily it is going to function.

In your case it would be the chamber being tight, not the ammo, and as long as the bolt goes completely into battery it is safe to fire (bearing in mind an AR is not supposed to fire unless in battery, but there are degrees of being in battery). If that chamber gets filthy it won't be as forgiving as if there's plenty of slop around the case....but in theory it should actually aid accuracy being held tightly and concentrically to the bore. As long as bullets are not getting pulled when pulling back on the handle, the gun cycles fine when fired, and the bolt goes completely into battery under it's own steam then I would look at the accuracy and decide whether it's a keeper or not.
    Klem, Thanks for the reply, I just use factory ammo and as I said the Hornaday ammo will not drop but the Federal did, As for accuracy I am very pleased with it as you can see from the pic, These were my last groups of 5 I shot on a very cold day and I could not feel my fingers when I had finished and my groups opened up with the last 5 shots in the middle well that's my excuse lol. What I am asking and I think you have answered is do folks think I will be ok to keep it and use it and it will be ok and will get better and end up loading the first round with no help from me, I think both you and Bunt force are saying it will be fine and should end up cycling fine over time as it gets used. I do not want to break it down and send it back if it will get better over time as I had to wait 9 months for it and like I said it shoots very nice for the first time out.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by brian y; 01-16-2020, 08:12 PM.
    NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Brian,

If those are 1" squares and you are shooting at 100yds then it's a 1MOA gun with 5 shots and sub MOA with three shots, which is excellent shooting out of any off-the-shelf sporter/hunting gun and AR. Regardless of what others might say on this forum if you are getting 1MOA with an AR you are doing really well. Anything better than that will only come from spending more money and being very careful.

It's reasonable to expect the moving parts will get smoother as things wear in. The headspace will grow over the life of the barrel but the throat and group sizes will blow out long before you get to No GO and FIELD Gauge status. I have an old 223 pencil barrel job from the 1980's The group sizes have blown out to 3MOA but the chamber is still in spec. I should have upgraded the barrel a long time ago but it's sentimental.

You mentioned it is bitterly cold; that, and the lube you are using will be affecting how smoothly it operates. As it heats up your lube will be less viscous and there will be less friction robbing that spring of energy. As it's shot the action will become more smooth. The chamber dimensions are not going to change as fast however. Expect them to be the same.

Up to you.

Comment

• brian y
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Thanks Klem, Yes it was cold so that could also not help the bolt close and when I stripped it down back home the lube was a little thick, I am not worried about the accuracy as this builder has a very good reputation for his builds I am just a little worried about the bolt not picking up the first round and not closing and the rounds not dropping out when I turn the upper upside down. Maybe overthinking this so I will leave it and see what happens, Thanks again, Brian
        NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

Working...
        X