Tried manually ejecting spent Hornady case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 22_boomer
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

Tried manually ejecting spent Hornady case.

I've gotten tired of hunting for my spent cases when in the field do I moved everything over to a side charger upper and went to the range. Turned the gas completely off and fired a Hornady 123gr SST round and could not hand eject the fired case. Is it normal for 6.5 Grendel fired cases to be tight enough to not allow manually ejecting them? After that round I turned the gas back on and finished sighting in my scope.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

When you shoot the round, the brass expands and fits in as tight as it can.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Trick is to find a gas setting that allows the bcg to unlock just a lil makes it much easier to extract a fired case with the sidecharger.

That are install a brass catcher.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 22_boomer View Post
        Is it normal for 6.5 Grendel fired cases to be tight enough to not allow manually ejecting them? .
        Yes, perfectly normal for an AR.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Yes, just get a brass catcher. Short of that, just take a box to the range for your spent cases to eject into. Either option is much simpler than worrying about adjusting gas blocks.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• 22_boomer
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
            Trick is to find a gas setting that allows the bcg to unlock just a lil makes it much easier to extract a fired case with the sidecharger.

That are install a brass catcher.
            I thought about doing just that -- let the gas system break the case free and then operate by hand with the side charger. I'll get a bunch of the Hornady SST ammo and find the sweet spot on the gas block adjustment. Can't see myself in the field with a brass catcher strapped on the rifle.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Or you could simply leave the cases you don't immediately see. If you are only shooting three or four rounds and not a guest on private property where policing brass is preferred then why not use cheap cases and not sweat it. I do this with 223, use old, ex military brass for hunting.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 22_boomer View Post
                I thought about doing just that -- let the gas system break the case free and then operate by hand with the side charger. I'll get a bunch of the Hornady SST ammo and find the sweet spot on the gas block adjustment. Can't see myself in the field with a brass catcher strapped on the rifle.
                On my rifle I found it almost dead closed is where it needed to be.

But to be honest it's a complete waist of time and effort in the feild, trust me from personal experience, if you need a follow up shot, your not going to get it.

Comment

• 22_boomer
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  On my rifle I found it almost dead closed is where it needed to be.

But to be honest it's a complete waist of time and effort in the feild, trust me from personal experience, if you need a follow up shot, your not going to get it.
                  I had wondered about that. Guess I should just leave the rifle as a semi-auto. I use a bolt action for target shooting and with the gas turned off on the Grendel it reminded me of the bolt action and I liked that. But stalking in the field is a different world. Guess having that quick follow up shot if needed would work best.

Comment

Working...
                  X