• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKelt
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

A4 --> A5 Buffer Tube conversion

I have a 12" Grendel pistol I built using an SBA3 brace. If I convert it to a longer LOP using an A5 buffer tube will I need a different buffer weight and spring? If so, what should I look for in the replacement items?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

If you convert it, that is modifying it and in the eyes of the Fed's it's against the law.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      If you convert it, that is modifying it and in the eyes of the Fed's it's against the law.
      NAILS IT.

Again.

Listen, and abandon your plan, unless you also plan to file a form 1 and wait for approval. I wouldn't take this chance, given the current way of things. Beware the fudds.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• SKelt
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2018

Damn, didn't realize that the buffer tube was included within the brace modification limits. Would it still violate the law if I put a Law Tactical folder on the gun?

Appreciate the advice on this.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by SKelt View Post
          Damn, didn't realize that the buffer tube was included within the brace modification limits. Would it still violate the law if I put a Law Tactical folder on the gun?

Not sure on the rules when adding the folder thingy. I know I seen a discussion about it on barfcom before but can't remember how long ago that was.

For what it's worth I started with the sba3 when I built my pistol grendel. Now I'm waiting on forums to clear. Screw a pistol brace, give me a real stock. I'm ok with paying a lil extra and asking please, that way I can have a more comfortable and contolable weapon.

Plus braces just look like crap.

Comment

• SKelt
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2018

Completely agree, if it wasn't for the travel notification required with an SBR I would sell all my SBA3 braces and just put the B5 stocks I love in their places.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by SKelt View Post

The issue at hand with the LT folder is the added length it adds to the LOP, it will put you over 13.5" LOP limit the atf deemed to be the limit as acceptable for braces. They will also measure the OAL with it folded which prevents the use of a vfg in most cases. As for the use of an A5 reciever extension, it's been done before and really isn't a modification to the brace itself but if this set-up gets you over the 13.5" LOP it would be no bueno. I recall seeing Vltor posting a picture of a SB3 on their website and it appeared to be just short of the LOP issue.

And damn it would be nice if the reduction of "Gray" areas would be clarified and not just changed on the whim of a field agent to benefit his/her own case.
              Last edited by Lastrites; 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• HickLife
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                They will also measure the OAL with it folded which prevents the use of a vfg in most cases.
                Not according to their most recent letter they put out, seriously people need to stop asking them if it is ok to do something and just do it. The police officer you run into might not even know there is a such thing as an ar pistol to even begin with and try to charge you with an unregistered sbr (do a quick search of an idiot open carrying an ar in a park and it'll show you, not saying cops are dumb, just maybe not as informed as they should be sometimes). The atf changes their mind like I go through toilet paper after chilifest. They measure from the end of the buffer tube (even with a folder) to the end of the barrel, or muzzle device if it is permanently fixed. Here is an article as of July 5th. VVV

Also SB tactical makes a LOP limiter if you are that concerned about it- https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/...-pull-limiter/

I say do what you want, they're gonna change their mind anyways. Latest word says the atf might even do away with braces soon and you will have to register or change the barrel anyways. Isn't it great when non elected officials can arbitrarily change their minds on something that will make you a felon?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

If you modify the brace into a stock, or a device with a plug in the space where your arm goes, then they can and have prosecuted this (domestic violence call, threw in firearms charge and lost that case).

Using a different RET does not modify the brace, and increasing the LOP certainly doesn't violate any laws.

OP: If you use an A5 RET, you will need the corresponding A5 buffer, which is longer than a carbine, but shorter than a rifle buffer.

Also, if you install a Law folding adaptor, the overall measurement of the length of the pistol will be considered in the folded position.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FRB6.5
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2018

A5 on its own with SBA3 or 4 keeps the LOP under 13 1/2. If you are using a Law folding adapter with either RE you need to use the limiters linked above or fill in a hole with epoxy etc.

Also A5 requires a rifle length spring such as a Sprinco Green as well as the longer A5 buffer.
                    Last edited by FRB6.5; 08-22-2019, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

I'll leave this here as it is a good read
                      Late yesterday, I received an email from an individual containing a letter from ATF which was a response to a correspondence requesting the correct method to “measure a firearm with a ‘…

Didn't want to click
                      Measure to end of buffer tube or if it folds, measure in folded position and the 13.5"lop is a thing.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        If you modify the brace into a stock, or a device with a plug in the space where your arm goes, then they can and have prosecuted this (domestic violence call, threw in firearms charge and lost that case).

Using a different RET does not modify the brace, and increasing the LOP certainly doesn't violate any laws.

OP: If you use an A5 RET, you will need the corresponding A5 buffer, which is longer than a carbine, but shorter than a rifle buffer.

Also, if you install a Law folding adaptor, the overall measurement of the length of the pistol will be considered in the folded position.
                        What I was told by law enforcement here in my state is this.

If the brace is described to fit on a carbine buffer tube it must remain on a carbine buffer tube. Changing out the tube is considered a modification and illegal.

That's what local, sherriff, state trooper and ldwf game wardens have to say on the issue.

That's who I'm going with on the subject.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

The attachement I had added addresses buffer tubes to a point, atf points out that it only standard buffer tubes will be considered in OAL measurement and not a tube like the KAK supertube that has about an inch of superfluous material or so of solid space added to the end which does nothing but add length to extension. An A-5 or AR-10 tube which is longer than an AR15 tube but are fully functional may end up being another "gray" area which those are standard receiver extensions just not necessarily for an AR15. In the end any LEO can crack your nuts until they get themselves sorted out so you may beat the charge but you might take a ride.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2018

What I was told by law enforcement here in my state is this.

If the brace is described to fit on a carbine buffer tube it must remain on a carbine buffer tube. Changing out the tube is considered a modification and illegal.

That's what local, sherriff, state trooper and ldwf game wardens have to say on the issue.

That's who I'm going with on the subject.
                            Given you can buy the SBA3 brace without the RE then what? https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/sh...ilizing-brace/

The April 2017 Open Letter was pretty clear:
                            If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock — for example, configuring the brace so as to permanently affix it to the end of a buffer tube…removing the arm-strap, or otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace — and then in fact shoots the firearm from the shoulder…that person has…”redesigned” the firearm for purposes of the NFA. – BATFE

IANAL and I agree that the regulations and back and forth changes are a silly game of "simon says". But my take away from the prince law link above, the freedom shop incident and now the Black Aces change has been more to steer people away from accidental or intentional AOW/SBS/SBR from the overly vague "Firearm" classification. The all seem to make it more clear that there is a definition of a modern "pistol". Due to ADA in my opinion braces won't be going anywhere and the recent actions seem to be protecting them in a way.
                            Last edited by FRB6.5; 08-22-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• SKelt
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2018

I've bought three different SBA3s, one from a PSA kit, one from Brownells, and one from Primary Arms that was brace only. This is one hell of a gray area.

Comment

Working...
                              X