Several issues we've come to observe: Failure to extract/eject causes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Several issues we've come to observe: Failure to extract/eject causes.

I've read so many posts here about this, I thought I'd throw out some things we've come to observe. I say we've, because I'm only posting what I've come to learn from the forum members here. Very little of this is my knowledge.
    Stick around long enough, and it'll come to be part of you, too.

First: Improper gas port size. The port size being too small, under-gasses the system causing slow or weak rearward bolt movement and the bolt doesn't lock back on the empty chamber. Too large, and it sends the bolt back early with enough force to swell cases and strip the extractor claw off the case rim. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...c-18-quot-RLGS, among several others.

Second: Dirty/improperly finished chambers. This causes the case to have too much grip inside the chamber immediately after firing which has almost identical results as a too large gas port mentioned above. Evidence here would be case wall condition rather than extractor claw damage. Easily confused and frustrating when a complete tear down and rebuild to change a gas block doesn't fix it. For some reason, makers aren't properly QCing the chamber walls for polish level before shipping barrels. A necessary cleaning or polish is an easy fix. Polishing a chamber while rewarding, is more than most want to do to correct an issue on a barrel they just spent good money on. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...case+scratches

Third: Improper extractor design/finish. Improper extractor design rips up the case, and can cause extraction/ejection issues. The Grendel extractor needs to have rounded corners at the claw. It should be slightly less curved in the paw, and should have springs strong enough to extract the fatter, wider case under pressure. There are several videos available, Johnny's Reloading Bench's video about it is good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrMUyyWV0k,

Fourth: Bolt face depth. No brainer. Proper head face depth matched to the chamber type make all the difference for smooth and proper extraction and ejection.

Fifth: Proper ejector spring length. Too long, and it sends brass off the deflector with enough force to cause the all too recognizable case mouth "dent" or flat spot, and occasionally overrun the lock or throw a case back into the chamber prior to stripping the next round. There are 5 thousand pictures about it. The mouth dent doesn't hurt the cases, it all comes out in the proverbial wash. But it does cause some extra wear to the deflector, and rear of the ejection port which is unnecessary. The fix is easy, trim a coil off the ejector spring at a time until 3:30-4 o clock piles of brass are common. If it's too short, it mimics the issues above and can be hard to track down. Solution: add the oring or replace with another full strength spring - or both. I'm not aware of a specific Grendel ejector or spring. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ejector+spring

Sixth: I'm going to need help here. Gas system length. Carbine was the original design, for barrels up to the 16 inch class. Beyond that, mid-length. Rifle for 20 and beyond with some fancier +X options when you really get long. There are some suppressed builds that are using mid-length systems for shorter barrels to more properly time them under the increased suppressor pressure and induced dwell times. If my memory is correct, the carbine length system on short suppressed barrels is hard on bolt lugs and extractor claws. This is not unique to Grendel, it's been an issue on all AR platforms running more back pressure/cyclic rate. LRRPF52 would be my go to here, off the top of my head. One of many threads about this topic - http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...+system+length. It took me a while to find this one again, it's got a post showing many port sizes for every caliber (refer to #1) BUT grendel... go figure. Useful though nonetheless.

The links I've included are just enough to get someone started. When building/troubleshooting, research and knowledge are key. Look a bit before posting a question about an issue you don't understand. That way, when asking your question you include data that is pertinent, and concise. This is important, because with flawed data, you will get sent down a rabbit hole that may or may not fix your problem, and will lead to spending time, money, and effort for less than stellar results. This makes frustration explode... nevermind how I know.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • FRB6.5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

This should be stickied. Good summary Kswhitetails!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Very well put sir and totally agree this should be a sticky are linked too new accounts in away that they have to read it before they can post.

Comment

• gwtx
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Thank you very much Kswhitetails. It's all guys like you that contribute your time and knowledge that make this site great. I just wish I could remember 10% of what I've learned here
        When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Bump for info's sake. This isn't comprehensive, but would be a good place to start for new troubleshooter and Grendel.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
            Warrior
            • Sep 2018

Yeah, this is good info. I'm currently working on a rlgs that doesn't eject unless I'm shooting supressed. Has geissele 42 spring and H1 buffer, Faxon match series 20". If I change to a carbine buffer, it shoots fine. I've played with the gas some and it'll eject 1 shell but that's it. I can change buffer but I'm trying to avoid it. Shells eject when shooting supressed at about 3:30. Need a little help, haha. I can start another thread but doesn't hurt to bump again!

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

WGE,

Why do you want to use a 3.8 instead of a 3oz buffer?

Sounds like you have solved the problem - if you can't dial the gas to function reliably then use a lighter buffer. The recommendation on Geissele's website is not to use the 42 on a suppressed Blackout, which tells us that it is stiffer than a standard MILSPEC. So you have to go light on the buffer to compensate.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

Well I don't really want to use a lighter buffer. I had just put an upper together for my uncle and while I think he can change buffers if he wants to shoot it not supressed. I was just checking if the 42 was part of my issue which I figured as much. I don't really use it, but he swears by them I guess cause of the name. So I was just testing to ensure functionality. I felt like the spring was just a touch strong and was the reason. Thanks!

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Wargrendeleagle View Post
                  Well I don't really want to use a lighter buffer. I had just put an upper together for my uncle and while I think he can change buffers if he wants to shoot it not supressed. I was just checking if the 42 was part of my issue which I figured as much. I don't really use it, but he swears by them I guess cause of the name. So I was just testing to ensure functionality. I felt like the spring was just a touch strong and was the reason. Thanks!
                  So the simple solutions are, (1) use a normal MILSPEC spring, or (2) use a lighter buffer, or (3) both. If you insist on keeping the expensive branded spring and don't want to use a lighter buffer [no reason given], then what?

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2018

It ain't me! Haha I get $5 springs when they go on sale at damage industries lol I was just trying to make it easier on my uncle but no problem telling him to change buffers if he wants to use it without supressor. Didn't mean to make it difficult.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Build it so it works. Uncle's opinion of parts is irrelevant if they don't work in his application. Grendel works on standard carbine MILSPEC setups. If it's not working when set up that way, then change things. If it is, (as I'm betting it will), then give it to him functional, and let him flub it up. >

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2018

That's what I did. It's in the mail on the way to NC shipped as "auto parts"! I even tried another gas block to make sure it was put on there straight. Best thing is to keep it simple!

Comment

Working...
                        X