• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by dblazevich View Post
    Well dang... Do they have any mid-capacity options, or just the goofy curved one?
    Not sure I only use 10 rounders for hunting and target and high cap for defense. Mid capacity mags aren't on my radar.

Comment

• BlakeTX
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2019

I dumped my 2 27rd Elanders for a couple CProd 10s and haven’t had an issue since

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I recently decided to adjust two of my elanders feed lips as these 4 round mags seemed to present the round low. Prior to adjustment they worked but felt and sounded rather clunky when loading, then on a new build noticed that they were hitting the ramp pretty hard. Post lip adjustment so the rounds were presented more like the C-products the clunk sound was gone and they seem to load way smoother. I suspect that these may have been slightly deforming the bullet tip and could have been the reason I was getting one out of five shots that wouldn't print as well as the other shots on paper.

Comment

• dblazevich
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2018

How exactly did you adjust the lips?

Comment

• dblazevich
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2018

Another question for the group - has anyone had any luck with down-loading 6.8 spc magazines?

I'd much rather waste a little magazine capacity than keep playing this magazine lottery

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

How exactly did you adjust the lips?
              A little at a time with with a Brownells mag lip tool which would be easy enough to make one at home out of an old fat screwdriver or drill shank.

Comment

• dblazevich
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                A little at a time with with a Brownells mag lip tool which would be easy enough to make one at home out of an old fat screwdriver or drill shank.
                https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod21511.aspx
                Thanks for the feedback, but i mean what exactly did you do to them - did you open them up, where and how much?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Thanks for the feedback, but i mean what exactly did you do to them - did you open them up, where and how much?
                  This will be kind of long winded but this is how I tweak mag feed lips.

Take 2 rounds. Brass are steel case doesn't matter.

Insert the first round and look to see how the feed lip contacts the case body. Your looking for complete contact the length if the feed lip and the bullet tip should be slightly above level.

Bend the feed lip as needed to get it to contact fully and have a slight upward angle to the bullet tip.

Once that's done. Insert the second round and repeat as needed.

The few CPD mags I had to do this too. It was always the right side feed lip that was the problem.

Hopefully this could fix your issue. I didn't buy a tool to do the work, I just used some needle nose plyer's I had laying around my work bench.

Comment

• dblazevich
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2018

Awesome, perfect! Thank you so much, i'll give that a try this weekend

Comment

• dblazevich
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2018

Okay, i think i've actually made some progress:

-I spent almost an hour cycling my magazines with a dowel.
                      -I adjusted the feed lips to get full contact with the round.
                      -I files down the ... guide grooves? I'm not sure what to call them - the indentations stamped into the walls of the magazine - i found that the rim of the case (that the ejector grabs on to) was getting caught on these, so i filed a small ramp in the direction of the chamber.
                      -And lastly, i sprayed the springs down with some Teflon dry lube. I think this made the most significant difference - the mags went from being creaky and gritty when i cycled them to being smooth and quiet.
                      -i down-loaded each magazine by 1-2 rounds (depending on the feel of the spring stiffness)

I manually cycled some crappy wolf ammo through each mag and out of 7x mags with 2-3 complete cycles each (full to empty) i experienced 0 nosedives and only 1 or 2 hiccups where the bolt didnt have enough force to strip the round. Since i was doing it manually, i think i might have been riding the charging handle some which could have caused the problem.

Going to take it to it to my 2-gun competition next month and see how it works live. High hopes! This would save me a good chunk of money if i could get these to work!

I'm a little concerned that shooting suppressed will dirty up the mags and cause the failures again. If thats the case, i will have to constantly clean and lube my magazines which would be annoying. I might try one of the "Adjustable BCGs" in that case, since those are supposed to help vent the gas out of the ejection port.

Hopefully this was helpful to someone else

Comment

• BlakeTX
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2019

Okay, i think i've actually made some progress:

-I spent almost an hour cycling my magazines with a dowel.
                        -I adjusted the feed lips to get full contact with the round.
                        -I files down the ... guide grooves? I'm not sure what to call them - the indentations stamped into the walls of the magazine - i found that the rim of the case (that the ejector grabs on to) was getting caught on these, so i filed a small ramp in the direction of the chamber.
                        -And lastly, i sprayed the springs down with some Teflon dry lube. I think this made the most significant difference - the mags went from being creaky and gritty when i cycled them to being smooth and quiet.
                        -i down-loaded each magazine by 1-2 rounds (depending on the feel of the spring stiffness)

I manually cycled some crappy wolf ammo through each mag and out of 7x mags with 2-3 complete cycles each (full to empty) i experienced 0 nosedives and only 1 or 2 hiccups where the bolt didnt have enough force to strip the round. Since i was doing it manually, i think i might have been riding the charging handle some which could have caused the problem.

Going to take it to it to my 2-gun competition next month and see how it works live. High hopes! This would save me a good chunk of money if i could get these to work!

I'm a little concerned that shooting suppressed will dirty up the mags and cause the failures again. If thats the case, i will have to constantly clean and lube my magazines which would be annoying. I might try one of the "Adjustable BCGs" in that case, since those are supposed to help vent the gas out of the ejection port.

Hopefully this was helpful to someone else
                        The case rim getting caught on the guide groove was one of the issues I observed as one of my problems. Good to hear that someone else noticed that as an issue just to confirm what I thought. Not in a good way, cause I know it’s frustrating for you.

Do yourself a favor and try out a “DuraMag” from CPD. I have two of them and my issues went away. Hell if you don’t like it I’ll buy my from you. Good luck at your match, let us know how it goes.

Comment

• tdbru
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2019

brownells has a mag lip adjusting tool. or you can make one with a long smooth shanked bolt, a grinder, a hacksaw, and time. A5Blaster mentioned this tool. thanks A5B. i simply made one out of a bolt, grinder, and hacksaw. has anyone tweaked the mag lips to angle the 6.5G rounds with just slightly more rise or nose up attitude? i didn't have a problem until i dropped one of the mags and bent the feed lips. so i tweaked it back. and then tweaked a slight nose up attitude. quite slight. just not quite level. both sides. also as A5B mentioned make sure lips have full contact. have not had a mag problem at all with the mag i dropped and fixed the feed lip. this with E-Lander mags. i suspect many magazine "issues" are due to feed lips that aren't quite right. anyway, thanks to A5Blaster for that mag tool tip. i've slightly tweaked all the mags now, wrt the feed lips. so far, no issues otherwise. personally i like the E-Landers, but haven't had a lot of experience with other brands so i have limited experience on that regard. they seem quite sturdy. the finish seems pretty robust. like others, i have noticed that taking ammo out of the mags by hand is not very easy. not sure why the mag springs that are being used were selected to give such high force on the follower. i can only guess that since the 6.5G has a lot more mass than the 223, the mag vendor wanted to make sure that even with a super light bolt carrier and tuned gas system for quick cycling, the round would be pushed up to the top in time for the bolt to strip it out of the magazine as it goes forward into battery. anyway, check those feed lips and don't be afraid to tweak them.
                          -tdbru

Comment

Working...
                          X