• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlakeTX
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2019

Reviews on DH Tactical 6.5 Grendel 10rd mag

Anyone have any experience with the DH Tactical 10rd grendel mag? Having some feed issues with my new Grendel build and main thing I?m seeing is an issue feeding out of the Elander 17s I have. saw the DHT mags and intrigued by their case design over traditional ASC, CPD and AA mags.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Very few reviews on the D&H ten round 6.5 Grendel magazines. To my knowledge Palmetto State Armory is the primary vendor for these mags. Buffman Range does videos where he chronographs a lot of ammo. Buffman has been testing some 6.5 Grendel ammo using a 12" and 18" PSA 6.5 Grendel AR-15's. Buffman has been using a D&H mag with good results.

If your having feed issues you can try loading a few 6.5 Grendel cartridges in a 5.56 magazine to compare function. A 5.56/223 mag will work with a few 6.5 Grendel cartridges but get to many rounds in the mag and they don't stack properly and will start to bulge the 5.56/223 mag.

It is not uncommon to encounter feed issues with a 6.5 Grendel if an AR-15 is over or under gassed.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-07-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

The DH-Tactical mag isn't the same as the PSA offering unless they had a recent name change.

PSA D&H

Comment

• Wanderson
        Warrior
        • Oct 2018

I just got some D&H 10 rounders from PSA, they look like the first pic from D&Hs site with the sharp curve at the bottom and smooth sides. Orange follower. It’s heavy gauge steel. Hope to try it next week.
        Guess PSA just ran a pic of a std. 5.56 D&H 10 rounder on their site, but it appears to be made like their 7.62x39 mags.
        All the D&H 7.62x39s I’ve seen have green followers, mine have orange followers like the pic.

Comment

• BlakeTX
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
          The DH-Tactical mag isn't the same as the PSA offering unless they had a recent name change.

PSA D&H
          Originally posted by Wanderson View Post
          I just got some D&H 10 rounders from PSA, they look like the first pic from D&Hs site with the sharp curve at the bottom and smooth sides. Orange follower. It’s heavy gauge steel. Hope to try it next week.
          Guess PSA just ran a pic of a std. 5.56 D&H 10 rounder on their site, but it appears to be made like their 7.62x39 mags.
          All the D&H 7.62x39s I’ve seen have green followers, mine have orange followers like the pic.
          I was wondering about this from PSA. Pic didnt Match what I was looking for but the part number did. Good to know that PSA actually does carry these, DSG also has them but I like doing business with PSA. Let me know what you think of them, I may get a chance to order some but I would definitely like to hear your feedback on them.

Comment

• BlakeTX
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            Very few reviews on the D&H ten round 6.5 Grendel magazines. To my knowledge Palmetto State Armory is the primary vendor for these mags. Buffman Range does videos where he chronographs a lot of ammo. Buffman has been testing some 6.5 Grendel ammo using a 12" and 18" PSA 6.5 Grendel AR-15's. Buffman has been using a D&H mag with good results.

If your having feed issues you can try loading a few 6.5 Grendel cartridges in a 5.56 magazine to compare function. A 5.56/223 mag will work with a few 6.5 Grendel cartridges but get to many rounds in the mag and they don't stack properly and will start to bulge the 5.56/223 mag.

It is not uncommon to encounter feed issues with a 6.5 Grendel if an AR-15 is over or under gassed.

https://dh-tactical.com/mag-65-Grendel.html
            I watched a few of his videos today and noticed the mags, he had one mention of them in the videos I saw and said they worked without issues. Your right, there is very little review of these mags. That?s really the main reason behind this post, figured if anyone had any experience with them it would be on here.

I have thought about testing with a couple pmags, but after my last outing with it, I am pretty convinced the mags are the issue. I tend to only get FTF from the eject port (right handed) side cartridge and never the left side. I have had the issue happen when having an open bolt, load mag with right side cartridge and hitting the bolt release. Single shots always lock back, have not noticed any short stroking. The right sides always hard to push out the mag by hand and the last rib in the mag always catches the extractor gap on the rim of the cartridge and it gets hung and hard to get out. This is where I am placing fault/blame for the FTFs. I checked gas port position and it?s dead center from the residue. These DH mags with the smooth side peaked my interest because I was getting ready to modify mags to have smooth walls. I don?t have high end parts in this build but I put money in the right parts that I shouldn?t have this kind of hell with it.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I suggest you look at this post from accurate shooter in regards to the ejector on larger case head cartridges in the AR-15. There have been a few shooters who experienced failure to feed and as last resort they modded the ejector which cured their feeding issues. This is a simple mod and can’t hurt to try.

TECH TIP by Robert Whitley, AR-X Enterprises LLC Over the years, while working with various AR-15 cartridges that require a larger bolt-face bolt (i.e. bigger than a 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem bolt-face, like those cartridges that use a 6.8 SPC bolt or the bolt face suitable for the 6.

I had one new 24 round ASC mag which consistently failed to feed from the non ejection port side. I compared the feed lips to my good ASC mags and the left feed lip was bent lower than my other mags. I used a pair of pliers to bend the feed lip up to match my good mags. Since tweaking the feed lip this mag has been feeding reliably.

Of all my 6.5 Grendel mags this one ASC mag is the only one I’ve had to modify. Mag and feeding issues can be very aggravating but can usually be solved by a process of eliminating potential causes.
              Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Wanderson
                Warrior
                • Oct 2018

And a good reason to have at least two different brand of mags and ammo on your first range trip.

As for D&H, there aren’t a lot of posts on their 7.62x39 mags either. The few I saw weren’t good but still wanted to try one. Biggest complaint seemed to be the fit in an AR lower, most complained it was tight. I mainly got them for my RAP but will run them in one of my 6.5g ARs as well.

For some reason D&H variant mags are hard to find, while lots of vendors carry their 5.56 mags. Although PSA does carry 10 round D&H 7.62x39 mags as well, and in stock.

Comment

• BlakeTX
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  I suggest you look at this post from accurate shooter in regards to the ejector on larger case head cartridges in the AR-15. There have been a few shooters who experienced failure to feed and as last resort they modded the ejector which cured their feeding issues. This is a simple mod and can’t hurt to try.

TECH TIP by Robert Whitley, AR-X Enterprises LLC Over the years, while working with various AR-15 cartridges that require a larger bolt-face bolt (i.e. bigger than a 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem bolt-face, like those cartridges that use a 6.8 SPC bolt or the bolt face suitable for the 6.

I had one new 24 round ASC mag which consistently failed to feed from the non ejection port side. I compared the feed lips to my good ASC mags and the left feed lip was bent lower than my other mags. I used a pair of pliers to bend the feed lip up to match my good mags. Since tweaking the feed lip this mag has been feeding reliably.

Of all my 6.5 Grendel mags this one ASC mag is the only one I’ve had to modify. Mag and feeding issues can be very aggravating but can usually be solved by a process of eliminating potential causes.
                  Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into this if I cannot eliminate it with different mags or mag modification. I really can?t see this causing the issue because the rounds stay hung in the mag and the bolt over runs them. The Elanders I have, I have noticed that the forward case standoff groove is obviously slightly deeper than the rear because of the tapered case, this is the problem point that I see because it takes so much force to push the round past this by hand when the groove catches in the extractor groove between the cavity and rim on the case. I have a couple ideas on how to modify the mags but it?s going to be difficult to do it right with the two halves of the mag assembled. I would much rather modify mags than gun parts at this point. I do believe a smooth area or wider guide groove on the side of the mag would eliminate this issue. Just gotta prove it, and I also believe this is why so many folks say they run better after a few hundred rounds. Wear smooths down the grooves and helps.

Comment

• BlakeTX
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Wanderson View Post
                    And a good reason to have at least two different brand of mags and ammo on your first range trip.

As for D&H, there aren’t a lot of posts on their 7.62x39 mags either. The few I saw weren’t good but still wanted to try one. Biggest complaint seemed to be the fit in an AR lower, most complained it was tight. I mainly got them for my RAP but will run them in one of my 6.5g ARs as well.

For some reason D&H variant mags are hard to find, while lots of vendors carry their 5.56 mags. Although PSA does carry 10 round D&H 7.62x39 mags as well, and in stock.
                    I did find a CPD 10rd at a store here in town today and going to try it. Don?t see this one making much of a difference over the elander but I?m willing to try it. Not a plethora of grendel specific accessories in the town I live in. We shall see.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Before you modify the magazines see if your rifle will feed a couple of rounds out of a 5.56/223 PMag or other reliable AR-15 5.56/223 mag. You can usually get 3 to 5 rounds in a 5.56/223 mag before the mag bulges and the cartridges don’t stack properly. If your rifle won’t feed with any mag normally there is something wrong with the rifle.

There have been instances where 6.5 Grendel bolts shipped the 5.56/223 extractors. If your rifle will not push the cartridges out of the mag it could be a gas problem even though the bolt locks back on an empty mag. Over gassed and under gassed exhibit some of the same behavior.

Don’t give up it can be sorted out. It is real handy to have another 6.5 Grendel around to test. I doubt you’ll get very many defective magazines. I have twenty eight 6.5 Grendel mags in three different brands and got one where I needed to tweak a feed lip.

Comment

• CWOZ
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2018

I have 3 of the PSA D&H 10 round Grendal mags, they work just fine. They do have they "bent toe" unlike the PSA picture.

Comment

• Wanderson
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2018

I ran some rounds thru a couple D&H 10s with my Ruger Predator, they ran fine with Wolf steel case.
                          Didn’t bring my 6.5g ARs to the range but did test fit them, a very snug fit and not drop free but they lock in place without a lot of effort. Might be an issue in tighter magwells.

Comment

• BlakeTX
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2019

So this past weekend I got to get some time on the gun and tried to sight in at 100. Ran about 15 rounds through it (mag and a half on the new CPD mag. Not a hiccup whatsoever. Functioned perfectly. Now if I could get it to shoot a little better . Gotta get some different ammo and see how it does. But it?s good enough to shoot some hogs or deer 100 and under. I?m gonna see if that store has another mag I can pick up and make sure. I?m still thinking about getting one of these DH mags also. Wish Amend2 would hurry their ass up and release their single stack poly mag. I?m not a huge fan of this short 10 rd but don?t want the huge 26rd. Thanks for all of the replies, I?ll keep an update as we shoot it some more.

Comment

• BlakeTX
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2019

Here is a look at it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X