• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlakeTX
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2019

Shooting with barrel shorter than handguard

Please see photo... I?m currently trying to work through some accuracy issues with my Grendel and I want to remove my linear comp and shoot ?bare end? to eliminate the possibility that the LC is causing the issue. I?ve got a 13.5? SI strike Rail and a 12.5? BA barrel. Really only want to get off around 5 shots, will the 1? recessed barrel do any damage to the inside of my handguard? A longer barrel I wouldn?t be as worried but I get a pretty good fireball with the 12.5? and comp, not sure how much poof I?m gonna get without the comp. what do you guys think??!

Just so we are all on the same page, I do have a linear comp that extends 2? past the barrel. I originally wondered about what would happen if I removed it to test for any interference from it. See the photo below

AABEBF00-58FC-4B20-A17A-D5F023A5C895.jpeg
    Last edited by BlakeTX; 12-13-2019, 02:44 AM. Reason: Clarity...
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

You can always take the handguard off as well.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

If you fire it without taking off the handguard you may damage your rail.

Last edited by Lastrites; 12-06-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
        Warrior
        • May 2017

That is all the information that I need!

The pictures show damage resulting from brakes, I don't know if firing without a brake would result in the same kind of damage or not, and I am not going to try to find out!

Do like A5 says and take off the handguard, bearing in mind that that may affect accuracy if you are resting on the bbl. You might have to try shooting with the comp on and resting on the mag well area, and then trying with the comp off and resting the same place. Same as resting on the bbl, on and off.

Seems to me that the harmonics are going to be screwed up one way or another.
        Or maybe just different.
        Last edited by Mad Charlie; 12-06-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
          If you fire it without taking off the handguard you may damage your rail.

LR:

You had to do this twice to learn the lesson?

He, he.

LR55

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Lol, no but I seen all sorts of splits posted over the years and it can occur without the use of a MB these two were just rather dramatic.

Comment

• BlakeTX
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2019

I do believe after seeing that I’m gonna say I think I’ll either buy a cheap shorter rail or figure out another way! Man that’s incredible how it toasted those rails.

Comment

• danm
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

I run a 13" BCM KMR on my 12.5"... But use an SAA linear comp

Comment

• Shooterrex
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2019

12" barrel w/a 13" rail. 1.5" flashcan

Comment

• BlakeTX
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by danm View Post
                    I run a 13" BCM KMR on my 12.5"... But use an SAA linear comp
                    Originally posted by Shooterrex View Post
                    12" barrel w/a 13" rail. 1.5" flashcan

Pretty identical with my setup, question was about removing the comp to test accuracy without it.

Comment

• Shooterrex
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2019

Don't think you would tear anything up shooting 2 or 3 groups. You can always take the rail off too. Most of the pics with the rails splitting had comps.

Comment

• Cootis23
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2019

You could get a linear comp, theres no guarantee that it would completely save you, but I've seen them noticeably direct the muzzleblast forward, the end of the comp would definitely need to be past the handguard. The ebay comps dont reduce noise as much, but the do direct the blast decently

Comment

• ARErector
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Cootis23 View Post
                          You could get a linear comp, theres no guarantee that it would completely save you, but I've seen them noticeably direct the muzzleblast forward, the end of the comp would definitely need to be past the handguard. The ebay comps dont reduce noise as much, but the do direct the blast decently
                          He has a linear comp on it now and wants to temporarily remove it to check if it is causing accuracy issues.

BlakeTX, I'd remove the linear comp and see how far back the muzzle is in the handguard. If it doesn't look too far back, I'd probably risk it for a few shots. If it's a real expensive handguard you may not want to take that chance.

Comment

• just_john
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2012

The gas temps are substantially higher than the tempering temps of aluminum handguards. Even a few rounds can soften the metal and substantially weaken it. May not rupture immediately but will and the most inconvenient time. Removing the handguard will not affect groups but will make the overall firearm more difficult to manage - even a short one is better than none.

Comment

• BlakeTX
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by ARErector View Post
                              He has a linear comp on it now and wants to temporarily remove it to check if it is causing accuracy issues.

BlakeTX, I'd remove the linear comp and see how far back the muzzle is in the handguard. If it doesn't look too far back, I'd probably risk it for a few shots. If it's a real expensive handguard you may not want to take that chance.
                              Thanks for the back up, I had read a few of these and wasn’t sure how to respond without being a smart ass.

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                              The gas temps are substantially higher than the tempering temps of aluminum handguards. Even a few rounds can soften the metal and substantially weaken it. May not rupture immediately but will and the most inconvenient time. Removing the handguard will not affect groups but will make the overall firearm more difficult to manage - even a short one is better than none.

To both of you guys, I actually bought a 10” handguard and installed because I didn’t want to risk anything. I actually like this setup and will probably keep it. I have put on a cheap flash hider but also got a thread protector also. Last time I shot it with a few loads the best I got was 1.5” with Hornady Black 123g elds. I have gotten in touch with BA about it and told them I’m still wanting to try a few other loads and have also gone through and verified torque on everything. I have not heard back on their stance on “bedding” and don’t want to ruin a warranty opportunity if it is there, will shoot some more this weekend with 123g sst, 120 OTM and 123g BTHP. We shall see

Comment

Working...
                              X