• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c3k
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

Fixed: 18" Alexander Arms barrel: 2.5+ MOA

Folks,

I'm looking for your opinions here. I've put together a dozen or so 5.56 ARs. I've never had ANY issues before. I am disappointed in my 6.5G.

I built my first 6.5G last February/March. Here's the parts list:

- Alexander Arms 18" fluted barrel and bolt
    - Adams Arms piston kit, micro adjustable gas block
    - Anderson Arms upper and lower
    - Hyperfire trigger (243G)
    - Various Magpul furniture
    - Vortex Optics Viper PSTII, 3-15x44 ffp
    - LaRue Tranquillo 7.62 muzzle brake/adapter

I had many failures. Every few rounds would fail to extract or occasionally fail to feed. The extraction failures were rarely the bolt cycling, but the brass staying in the chamber. Usually it was a jammed bolt, still attached to the brass. (Obviously, if it cycled, the next round would jam into the rear of the stuck brass. This is a failure to extract, not a failure to feed.) The feed failures were either stovepipes or rounds only halfway stripped out of the magazine, with the ogive jammed into the M4 feed ramps. The MAIN problem was stuck brass.

The extractor (Alexander Arms bolt) was in good shape. The brass was not deformed. Mortaring the rifle, or using my cleaning rods, was needed to get the stuck brass out. This indicated a bad chamber.

I took a 5.56 chamber brush (brass and steel), wrapped it in cotton patches and applied liberal amounts of polishing compound. I attached the brush to a length of cleaning rod, put it in a drill and went to town. After 30 minutes and then cleaning up the mess, that is now the best looking chamber I've ever had.

The benefit is that I no longer had stuck brass. So, I can reliably ascertain that my Alexander Arms barrel had a rough chamber when it was delivered.

Then I had cycling issues. Sometimes the bolt would overrun the next round, sometimes the bolt would not feed the next round but only strip it partially. Sometimes the ogive would jam against the feed ramp (where it transitions from the upper to the barrel extension).

In order to work the cycling issues, I went through MANY iterations of gas and buffer weight. I started with Carbine and then went through H, H1 and H2. I also started going through magazines (in case the springs or lips were the issue). It was not the magazines.

I -think- I've finally gotten all the cycling issues sorted. I'm using minimal gas, a carbine weight buffer, and a tubbs flat buffer spring.

Next, I decided to work on the pitiful accuracy. It was shooting about 3" groups at 100 yards.

Now, remember, this has been taking a LONG time because of the reliability issues. In order to get to the point where it could shoot 5 rounds in row took me until early this summer. By the end of the summer, I'd shot about 250-300 rounds and it had not tightened up at all.

Last week I decided to rebuild and retorque everything. My first thought is to look at the builder (me).

I clamped the upper in my vice (wheeler upper vice block) and unscrewed the muzzle device (LaRue Tranquillo). I applied about 30 lb ft of torque...and the BARREL ROTATED. The barrel nut was still fully tightened (I use the 3x tighten/loosen with lube before final tighten to 80+ lb ft while timing the barrel nut.)

Well, that was disconcerting. I've never had a barrel come out of its extension before. I contacted Alexander Arms and their rep stated that he wished I'd contacted them sooner (rough chamber and maybe the accuracy???). However, he did reply that the barrel should be torqued to 120 lb ft into the extension and to use green loctite. After cleaning the barrel and extension threads with brake cleaner, I tightened them together as best I could. I did not want to use the chamber lugs to torque against, so I could not achieve the full 120 lb ft. (The extension was slipping in the vice and I did not want to tighten too much against it (using padding) nor did I want to rely on the alignment pin at that torque.)

24 hours later, I took it out again. I fired 20 rounds of Hornady 123gr Black. The groups are about 2.5 inches at 100 yards.

My questions:

1. Is this type of grouping expected?

2. How do you tighten a barrel onto the extension to 120 lb ft of torque? (E.g., what tools do you use and what part of the extension do you apply the torque to?)

3. Should I send the barrel back to Alexander Arms? (Their rep was quite willing to have me send the barrel back and have them tighten it up.)

4. If I do send it back, are my accuracy expectations too high? (I'd like ~1.5" and would love <1".)

5. Or, do I just give up on this barrel and go with an Odin Works?

Thanks,

Ken
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-15-2022, 06:52 PM. Reason: Updated
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Wait am I understanding something correctly. You torqued your brake to the end of the barrel with 30 ftlbs of torque?

If so I can understand how you jacked up your rifle and extention. That is way way way more torque then you should ever put on the end of a barrel.

And your upper clamp is the wrong tool for the job when it comes to torqeing muzzle devices.

You said you torque your barrel nut to 80 or more pounds and that just seems way over normal torque specs. My understanding is 35 to 65 pounds on the barrel nut torque.

Either way send the barrel back and let them make good on it. That's what you should have done to began with.

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

Sounds like way over torqued muzzle device and barrel nut. I've never installed any muzzle device other than a thread protector and that is barely more than hand tight with a little blue loctite.

I try not to go more than about 40 ft lbs with the barrel nut.

My AA 16" was sub-MOA capable on it's first outing. Still holds that if I do my part with Black and SSTs. Fed Fusions are only a little looser groups. I can still get 1.5" - 2" with Wolf Steel.

Never had an issue with it.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Have done several AA barrel builds and never had an issue with either assembly or with accuracy, all sub MOA. After you retorqued the barrel into the extension, did the gas block still line up ( just curious ) at 12:00. To the points above, I would send the barrel back to AA and give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Comment

• c3k
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2018

LOL...

I did not TORQUE the muzzle brake to 30 lb ft, it took 20-30 to UN-TORQUE it. I was REMOVING IT...not putting it on.

Comment

• c3k
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2018

Yeah, my use of the upper clamp was only to take off the muzzle brake. I had no intention of doing other work with that...but the barrel rotated out of the extension first. (My 30 lb ft is an estimate. I was using a 10" adjustable wrench on the muzzle brake's flats.)

Comment

• c3k
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by just_john View Post
              Have done several AA barrel builds and never had an issue with either assembly or with accuracy, all sub MOA. After you retorqued the barrel into the extension, did the gas block still line up ( just curious ) at 12:00. To the points above, I would send the barrel back to AA and give them a chance to redeem themselves.
              Yeah, lining up the gas port with the alignment pin was my primary concern. It is lined up.

I'm leaning towards sending it back...

Thanks

Comment

• c3k
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                Sounds like way over torqued muzzle device and barrel nut. I've never installed any muzzle device other than a thread protector and that is barely more than hand tight with a little blue loctite.

My AA 16" was sub-MOA capable on it's first outing. Still holds that if I do my part with Black and SSTs. Fed Fusions are only a little looser groups. I can still get 1.5" - 2" with Wolf Steel.

That's good to hear.

The muzzle device has a 12 o'clock: it's a compensator. So, to keep the ports facing the right way took a little bit. Literally...a little bit. I used loctite on it. That was about February or March. A few days ago when I tried to disassemble it, it was taking too much effort. I heated it up, then tried again. At 20-30 (estimated) lb ft the barrel rotated out of the extension.

Comment

• c3k
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2018

Alexander Arms is offering an RMA. They'll do whatever they do...

Fingers crossed. I'll come back to this when I get it rebuilt.

Comment

• c3k
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2018

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post

Ahhh...I re-read my OP. LOL! I do NOT tighten barrel nuts to, as I wrote, "80+" lb ft! That's my LIMIT. I set a lower limit of 30 (do it 3x with greased threads) and tighten it beyond 30 to time the nut with the gas or piston, not to EXCEED 80 lb ft.

I try to keep the barrel nut ~40 lb ft. (This particular build has two shims to time the nut and keep the torque to something below 80.)

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

2 1/2 moa is unacceptable.If you properly installed everything.Then,it needed to go back.Hope it shoots better when you get it back.

Comment

• Rangerofthenorth
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2018

AA should take care of you. My 16 inch AA fluted barrel is moa-ish with Wolf at 200 yards and sub-moa with Hornady Black. It has performed without fail with e-lander mags, and standard carbine buffer and spring. Just switched to the A5 buffer tube setup and it's even smoother with no hiccups.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2015

Hopefully they will get it right for you. I also have a 16" AA fluted and it's a laser with SSTs and Black.

Comment

• c3k
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2018

Your comments make me hopeful.

I went with Alexander Arms for a variety of reasons (not least being their history with 6.5 Grendel). To say I've been disappointed with this barrel would be an understatement.

I'll post with what AA comes back to me, and after I put it together, if the forum rules let me, I'll post some pix of groups.

Ken

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Piston set-up and an untorqued barrel from the extension are where you need to look before even worrying about accuracy.

Any time you're torquing on a muzzle device, the barrel needs to be isolated, not clamping force on the upper, which is a separate part.

I wouldn't have high expectations from an external op-rod gun in accuracy, unless the gas system was pinned and the barrel bedded really well.

Short story is that there are major issues with a lot of the components and assembly methods you used, before we can even talk about the barrel's accuracy potential.

Another thing with Grendel AR15s is that you have to shoot them differently than .223 ARs in most cases, since the projectile weight and recoil make the gun handle a bit differently as to positional shift.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X