• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chance-dg
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

Buffer weight question

I just finished a build around a Wilson Combat 18" fluted hunter wt. barrel with a SLR adj. gas block, Brownells Grendel BCG and standard carbine buffer spring. I wonder what weight Buffer is recommended?

My 16" build has a GB Monster barrel with a superlative arms adj. gas block, Bravo Co. BCG with a Monster bolt and a H1 buffer with standard spring and I am having zero issues with extraction, feeding etc.

I have buffers in H1, H2 and standard carbine weights. Does anyone have personal preferences as to buffer weigh and spring type??? what setting works for you with the SLR gas block???

I shoot 120 to 130 g bullets , Hornady 123g Black 120g Speer pro hunters and soon 130g Swifts...?.I just bought a 200 round box of Hornady 123g hollow point American Gunners but haven't tried them out yet

Thanks
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I would start with the standard carbine and see how it goes.

I just pulled a slr gas block off my 16 inch to go back to a cheap wojetck adjustable and will be doing so again for my 12 5 inch grendel.

For the life of me I can understand how this gas blocks are so popular. Mine leak gas out the adjustment screw like a sinking boat and my barrels after barely 10 shots are covered in carbon.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

A5 better get that "carbon bucket" out and start bailing LOL!!!

Would also recommend the same, try the std first, complete a break in if possible, up-weight 1 by 1 if you're getting too many problems. But I wouldn't tweak a lot until after 50 rounds or so so all the moving parts can smooth out against each other if you can.
      Start with your GB all the way open for break in and let the rig cycle. Tune after that.
      I've read many times on here that under gassed sometimes looks like over gassed, I'm not the expert on that but just mentioning it fyi. So starting from a more-or-less known "overgassed" spot and tweaking down would seem the way to go; that's how I've done my adjustables in the past.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Chance-dg
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

Thanks you two...….I have a simple AP low profile GB I intended to use but WC recommended the SLR for this barrel/caliber combo so that's what I used along with a mil spec carbine spring and buffer. I have not had a leaking gas problem with the 16" and superlative arms gb. With very light wt varmint loads I didn't adjust the gas block enough and was way over gassed.
        I have everything but the barrel for a 12.5" build but I am considering a Ballistic Advantage barrel which have been out of stock since mid December.....Uggggg I have no experience with Odin works short Grendel barrels. What barrel do you use for your shortie builds???

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I used the BA Hanson 12.5. There is (or was?) a 12" offered in the Group buy section that several have been fond of... think I tried an Odin but didn't like it as much.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Chance-dg
            Warrior
            • Apr 2019

I want a BA Hanson but they are out of stock right now

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Chance-dg View Post
              I want a BA Hanson but they are out of stock right now
              I wanted a woman with a body like a godess, but settled for a hippo lmbo.

Comment

• Chance-dg
                Warrior
                • Apr 2019

I wanted a Goddess with the body of a woman...…..still do

Comment

Working...
                X