• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
    interesting history. as an aside, is it possible to get a slick side upper yet? does anyone make them? the forward assist seems to be a feature that is indeed not needed if everything is clean and lubed. i know some may argue that having it and not needing it doesn't hurt anything. other than adds weight to an already overweight rifle. anyway, LRRPF52, that reply was highly educational and appreciated. thank you.
    -tdbru
    I believe just about every company that has their name are logo on a upper has a forged and possible a billet slick side upper.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
      interesting history. as an aside, is it possible to get a slick side upper yet? does anyone make them? the forward assist seems to be a feature that is indeed not needed if everything is clean and lubed. i know some may argue that having it and not needing it doesn't hurt anything. other than adds weight to an already overweight rifle. anyway, LRRPF52, that reply was highly educational and appreciated. thank you.
      -tdbru
      Yes, and that's what I used on my 17.6" Lilja barrel Grendel. It's an No-Forward Assist "M4" upper from Aero Precision with a keyhole forge code.

No reputable instructor teaches to use the Forward Assist for clearing malfunctions, and AFSOC didn't have them on their weapons for 4 decades.

In the regular Army, they taught this stupid malfunction clearance procedure called SPORTS instead of "Tap, Rack, Bang" like they should have.

There's also a retired Army General who was Artillery that makes his rounds as an expert on small arms, often citing failures with the M16 in combat when enemy units tried to overrun his unit's position in Vietnam, after admitting that they didn't enforce any weapons maintenance standards in that unit, and that his guys were asleep.

He said one of the main failure points of the M16/M4 is its aluminum gas tube, just to give you an idea of his familiarity with the weapon. It's embarrassing to see him talk or write about small arms. General Scales...
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

LRRPF52, what is a keyhole forge code?? pardon my ignorance. i like the looks of that upper. is it possible to get it without the forward assist and without the brass deflector? it be a bit narrower and would likely fit in scabbards or cases just a bit easier.
        -tdbru

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

The "keyhole forge code" is simply the manufacturer's mark/imprint of who originally forged the upper prior to final machining. It is shown in his picture about an inch below the rail directly above the word "safe".

Comment

Working...
          X