• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasper2408
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

New rifle bore marks

I received my Howa Miniaction Chassis rifle in 6.5 Grendel last week and I bore scoped the bore before I cleaned it or shot it and found some marks in the barrel. So I then cleaned it to make sure that it wasn't just some junk left over from them building it. The marks were still there about 3-4 inches ahead of the chamber. I can't tell how deep the marks are so I don't have any idea if they are deep enough to affect the accuracy. I have contacted Legacy Sports about this and they said I can send it in but their warranty states that if they shoot the rifle and if it shoots 1 MOA then they charge you $50.00 and shipping to return it without doing any work. I think that they should replace the barrel because to me this is a factory defect. I am not able to get them to say that it needs a new barrel so I have no idea what they will decide to do with it when they get it if I send it in. None of my other guns had any marks in their bores.

I am debating on whether to shoot the rifle first to see if these marks affect the accuracy or not. I included my bore cam pics for you to see. Any opinions welcome.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

I have a Remington 7mm-08 that has similar marks in the barrel. I discovered them after years of use after a full cleaning out of the copper when I also got access to a bore scope. After 5 fouling shots it was right back to half MOA shooter. I have not worried about it since. Tooling marks like those are more common than most of us would think in factory barrels.

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

You bought a mass produced item. Shoot it. If it shoots be happy. If not hope Legacy takes care of you.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• CJW
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

• jasper2408
            Warrior
            • Jan 2019

Thanks for the comments guys. I decided that I am going to go ahead and shoot it and see how it does. I tend to agree with FLshooter but if it shoots good then I am satisfied.

Comment

• Highbrow
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2019

To get in the head of your nearest competitor, give them a chronograph and a bore scope

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Highbrow'!!!!!!'!!!!!!

Very sound advice that I took myself years ago.

Chuck

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Comment

• jasper2408
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2019

I have already taken it out and did the barrel break in yesterday. I shot a total of 20 shots for the break-in and 5 extra shots to try to get the best group I could. I put on a cheapo 6x24 CVLife scope I had and shot some groups at 100yds. The first 10 I was getting the scope sighted in and just shot without worrying about a group but the next 15 I decided to see if I could get any kind of group. I took some pics of the 10 shot group which measures about .880" and then I had 5 extra left over so I tried to get the best group I could from those which turned out to be .550". Hopefully once I get my good scope on it and some better reloads that I can get it to shoot a little better.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

I would be very satisfied with a 0.550" group at 100yds on a fresh barrel that soon after a barrel break-in. After a thorough cleaning, it will most likely need some fouling shots to tighten things up but most of my rifles require that. Nice shooting and congrats on a very accurate rifle out of the box!!!

Comment

• jasper2408
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                        I would be very satisfied with a 0.550" group at 100yds on a fresh barrel that soon after a barrel break-in. After a thorough cleaning, it will most likely need some fouling shots to tighten things up but most of my rifles require that. Nice shooting and congrats on a very accurate rifle out of the box!!!
                        Thanks Rosecrans1 I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot.

Comment

• kmon
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2015

Looking good so far. Good shooting.

Get a couple hundred rounds down the pipe and I bet it gets a little better.

Now that the break in is done I would shoot it until accuracy starts to drop off a little then scrub and repeat. A rifle will tell you when it Is time for a bore scrub if you listen. The mild velocities of the Grendel do not copper foul nearly as bad as the fast steppers generally speaking.

Comment

• FLshooter
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2019

Comment

• jasper2408
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2019

I'm looking forward to working up loads for it now.

Comment

Working...
                              X