• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lee Marlin
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2020

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
    There is 2 mil spec tubes.

Does it have a adjustable stock are a fixed stock?

It really sounds like you have a gas issue. If you still have the adjustable gas block put it back on and see if you can adjust the gas to run with your handloads.

Sounds like your handloads are over gassing the rifle possible.
    I have an adjustable stock. I have the adjustable gas block. I need to do some more loading. Unfortunately the range is closed until May 4. But I will try the the other gas block. I did not think that to much gas would be a problem. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Lee Marlin View Post
      I have an adjustable stock. I have the adjustable gas block. I need to do some more loading. Unfortunately the range is closed until May 4. But I will try the the other gas block. I did not think that to much gas would be a problem. Thanks for the help.
      Overgassed and undergassed can have the same issues at times.

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

Had the same problem with my 20" PSA upper all I had to do was turn up the adjustable gas block to solve the problem . One thing mine has a rifle length gas tube .

Comment

• bbqncigars
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2019

If factory ammo runs and reloads don't, then the answer is fix your how you're reloading. I size back to factory dimensions in ammo that feeds more than one gun, and have never had any problems. A good case gauge helps.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Having an adjustable stock sounds like it is actually a carbine stock -- which is ok but if so, then it means you have a carbine length buffer tube, and you need to have the carbine spring and a carbine buffer weight as well. If you say "whatever is standard for a mil-spec 556 tube" this also sounds to me like it is carbine length (the carbine system has both mil spec and commercial spec buffer tubes), so verify which type of stock length you have. Could be you have mistakenly put in a rifle spring, maybe a rifle buffer weight also...

So. If it indeed is carbine length stock then which spring exactly is in there and which weight of carbine buffer do you have, perhaps you can go to a lighter weight buffer (really shouldn't need this since factory ammo cycles...)... admittedly I am not a buffer weight expert.

Now as an extra thought, a "mid-length" gas system should be giving lots and lots of pressure and dwell time (maybe even too much dwell but again, not an expert there)... since most 20" barrels are rifle length. Perhaps double check that also.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Lee Marlin
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by sundowner View Post
              Had the same problem with my 20" PSA upper all I had to do was turn up the adjustable gas block to solve the problem . One thing mine has a rifle length gas tube .
              I have the rifle length gas tube also. We might have the same upper. I fixed the problem. Had my gunsmith enlarge my gas port on the barrel. This fixed the problem and no it cycles great with my hand loads. Even the low charge ones work.

Comment

• Lee Marlin
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2020

Thank for the Ideas. I have fixed the problem as I was under gassed and had my gun smith enlarge my gas port on the barrel.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Congrats! Just post some pics of your targets for a happy ending to this thread.

Comment

• Lee Marlin
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
                    Congrats! Just post some pics of your targets for a happy ending to this thread.
                    Will do after the range get reopened and I get some loads worked up.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Did you say Mid Length Gas with 20" barrel? I didn't know PSA made those.

Saber made a few, but they are rare.

Did you mean Rifle Length Gas?
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X