• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mopardoctor
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

BCA barrel is choking at the throat

Noticed at the LGS that about the only 6.5 ammo left was 6.5 Creedmoor so I ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor upper from BCA. Side charging, 18" SS bull barrel. At least I can use the same 6.5 bullets as my Grendel. Checked it out with a Hornady OAL gage and with their 129 G SST the freebore is around .100" short. Factory ammo won't even load. 123g SST is also short. 120 G Federal TFMJ ammo is pressed into the lands. I was able to get 100G AMAX to load at "book" length but not much jump space. PTG Uni-throat reamer is coming soon and then I'll be able to "tune" the throat to longer OAL loads. I'll be checking my Grendel throats also with this reamer.

Mopar Doctor
    Last edited by Mopardoctor; 06-22-2020, 06:41 AM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I would have saved the money on the reamer and just got rid of the BCA garbage and got something better.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

my $0.02. "BCA" is short-hand for steel tomato stake.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Comment

• PVBoom
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Is it too late to cancel the barrel order?

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by pvboom View Post
            is it too late to cancel the barrel order?
            lol!

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

Hope you have a BCA lower the ar10's do not have a standard , many wont match other brands , and yes I replaced a BCA barrel with a Sander's barrel and not looking back .

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

BCA, barrel change again.

Comment

• Mopar forever
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2020

Comment

• Lemonaid
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

A lot more information will be conveyed from a picture of the marked up bullet thus helping in the diagnosis.
                    A new barrel will sometimes copper foul if the throat is rough from when it was chambered. If you get heavy copper fouling from say 20 rounds that may cause poor accuracy until cleaned out and is why some barrels need a long break in period. Anyway something to check.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Sloppy machining, and poor quality steel - great price, but then the tears.

'You can't polish a turd' (Slate Magazine, 1976).

Comment

• Mopardoctor
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

Yea, it's a potato stake so far. The short throat I think was caused by the chamber not centered with the bore and I was getting a distance to land length of 2.212. The throat reamer was just nicking a couple of lands and I opened it up to 2.261. Test bullets were still showing scratch marks from the lands so i reamed it out to 2.288 where the reamer felt like it was getting a even cut and chips showed. Bullets are not jamming in the lands now.

First time out with Federal 120G HP the first shot had a pierced primer and the scrap from that was stuck in the firing pin hole. Had a lot of failure to fires after that. Firing pin gauged out later as being .015" too long. Groups were minute of hubcap.

This upper out of the box was unsafe to fire. Fixed the firing pin and cleaned up the throat so we'll see how this poop stick does the second time out.

Mopar Doctor
                        Last edited by Mopardoctor; 07-16-2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Mopardoctor
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2015

Other problems: 1. The HUGE gas block barely fits inside the handguard and was riding at several points. 2. The rear gas plug has to be filed down on the bottom for the rear takedown pin to line up on an Aero Precision M5 lower. 3. The shipping box had the bolt handle sticking out when it arrived and the handle was scarred up and the handle screw was bent.

Midway sells this same upper for $200 more than what I paid for it.

Mopar Doctor

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                            Sloppy machining, and poor quality steel - great price, but then the tears.

'You can't polish a turd' (Slate Magazine, 1976).
                            Nor can you pick up a turd by the clean end.

Continued finagling with this upper doesn't appear to have a chance at turning out very well. In the long run, Mopardoctor, your time and effort will likely end up costing more than this potato stake is worth. Time to stop fishing and cut bait?

I've heard of BCA taking returns, but your efforts to get it able to fire (reamer, etc) might cause them to refuse.

Either way, be thankful you didn't bite on the Midway USA deal, first.
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• FLshooter
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X