• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armorydoc
    Unwashed
    • May 2019

Extractor interchangeability ?

I'm going nuts trying to find info on whether a type II extractor will work in a type I bolt. Because I'm playing heck trying to find a type I extractor. Can someone with experience offer some help ? Thanks.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• Armorydoc
      Unwashed
      • May 2019

Thanks for the help Vascar2 but I really need type I as I have a .264 LBC for the Black Hole Weaponry barrel. Not many out there for type I.

Comment

• FRB6.5
        Warrior
        • Oct 2018

The 7.62x39 extractor is the same as the Type I, they use that bolt.

You can see the BHW reseller lists the BCG as being for both as well:
        Last edited by FRB6.5; 07-14-2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

well..... I ordered 3, and 2 are already broken. So... not everybody is having the best of luck with BRA. I did send them a note today in fact about it, but haven't heard anything back. I ordered 2 more from Alexander Arms today (they aren't too bad in price; at $20 each). I thought about ordering a 10-pack of the things from Red-X arms; knowing full well those are likely cheap junk; but considering my twice-the-price BRA extractors are breaking as fast as they are - does it matter?
          4x P100

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Probably so. Barrel is well aligned with extension (sights all light up naturally, and lapping didn't do much as had a pretty uniform wear pattern when tried it). Brass is throwing to about 3:00, so doesn't appear to be over-gassed. That said, it is an adjustable carbine length gas system, so I might start playing with that all the same.

Also, I do have to give props to BRA. They responded in less than 1 business hour, sending out replacement extractors for free (i did not demand this btw); and with a note suggesting same - that I may be over-gassed.

I was hoping just removing the O-ring, which folks said would fix it, would fix it. And I was hoping lapping the upper, which folks would say fixes it, would fix it. Neither of those helped. So next step is to start adjusting the gas-setting. I hate doing that though, since the gun runs 100% reliable otherwise. But, here we are.
              4x P100

Comment

• Armorydoc
                Unwashed
                • May 2019

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
                The 7.62x39 extractor is the same as the Type I, they use that bolt.

You can see the BHW reseller lists the BCG as being for both as well:
                https://www.surplusammo.com/products...-complete.html
                Thank you very much for that. I thought that was the case was wasn't 100% confident. I can find those. Thanks again.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                  Probably so. Barrel is well aligned with extension (sights all light up naturally, and lapping didn't do much as had a pretty uniform wear pattern when tried it). Brass is throwing to about 3:00, so doesn't appear to be over-gassed. That said, it is an adjustable carbine length gas system, so I might start playing with that all the same.

Also, I do have to give props to BRA. They responded in less than 1 business hour, sending out replacement extractors for free (i did not demand this btw); and with a note suggesting same - that I may be over-gassed.

I was hoping just removing the O-ring, which folks said would fix it, would fix it. And I was hoping lapping the upper, which folks would say fixes it, would fix it. Neither of those helped. So next step is to start adjusting the gas-setting. I hate doing that though, since the gun runs 100% reliable otherwise. But, here we are.
                  To follow-up on this part - my adjustible gas-block is frozen. So I took it to the range today and ran about 60 rounds of brass reloads through it to warm it up, which didn't work, and it's still frozen. But the brass ejection pattern is text-book perfect 4:00 - suggesting it's not overgased. I ran 40 rounds of Wolf Steel, again, with no problems about about the same ejection pattern.

So I'm not sure if it really is overgassed afterall, but it's not proving very easy to adjust if so! If I have to, I can probably pull the handguards off to get to it better, hit it with a torch, and try to open up the set screws some more - but I don't really want to, and am not seeing a brass ejection pattern to suggest that's needed. I have two Alexander Arm's extractors on the way; and will install one of those. If it still breaks with that one, then I'll know for sure it's just a bad run of BRA extractors.
                  4x P100

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

You might try Kroil penetrating oil on your adjustable gas block screws. Another option might be PB Blaster which can be found in hardware or auto parts stores.

Comment

• KZero
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2020

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                      To follow-up on this part - my adjustible gas-block is frozen.
                      Kenny

Comment

• sundowner
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2017

Great video thanks for the info .

Comment

Working...
                        X