Clear All
  • JTB
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

Question about barrel swap

• JTB
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

I will add that I was shooting with a bird cage on and now in just using a thread protector. Could that have changed anything?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Just swapping the barrel could account for that. Diffrent barrel with a diffrent degree of forces acting on the bullet.

The muzzle device change can effect point of impact as well.

I wouldn't worrie about it. Just shoot it and enjoy it and wait to clean the barrel till you have 200 to 300 rounds down pipe, then clean it real good and go do a nice slow firw, cold bore sight in.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

JTB,

That is a big change on the target. Lots of things can account for a change between barrels but for such a large change it's probably down to the direction of the barrel relative to the shoulder on the barrel extension. Unfortunately you can't spin that barrel 180degrees and fire some more groups to see how big, if any, an angle exists between the barrel and line of sight.

I say "if any" because it may not be a fault of the new barrel. Your previous barrel might have the angle, and printing 10" low is where it should be.

I agree with A5, I wouldn't worry about it unless things go wrong down range.

Comment

• JTB
          Bloodstained
          • May 2020

Comment

• JTB
            Bloodstained
            • May 2020

That 1.25 was with factory hornady black ammo but that ammo was 3/4 for most 5 shot groups.

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Comment

• SDW
                Warrior
                • Jul 2018

My point of impact dropped 5" on the same barrel (a 5.56 upper) just by swapping from a brake to a thread protector. I could certainly understand a change when swapping barrels. Different harmonics.

Comment

• JTB
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2020

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                  My point of impact dropped 5" on the same barrel (a 5.56 upper) just by swapping from a brake to a thread protector. I could certainly understand a change when swapping barrels. Different harmonics.

Comment

Working...
                  X