• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phishfood
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

TM-10 roll pin installed vs set screw, need some ideas

So I am working on an AR10, and it has a Tactical Machine lower with a rather weird configuration to the area around the bolt catch release. There is only access to one end of the roll pin hole, so I can only drive the pin in, can't get to the other end to drive it back out. It seems as though I have bent the spring over while pushing the release in, and didn't realize that until I had the pin started. And now I can't get the roll pin out.

The pin is only just started into the release, so I do have a bit of roll pin still sticking out of the back. But the way this lower is built, the pin is in a 90 degree corner, without enough room to grab it with vise grips or pliers.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-25-2020, 08:10 PM.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Phish,

Unless someone knows exactly what to do can you post a picture or two?

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

The bolt catch pin on AR 10s is a combination set screw/catch pin. It unscrews from the lower receiver with a 1/16" hex wrench. This video might help. It's not the best but I think it'll get you where you need to go.

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• phishfood
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
        The bolt catch pin on AR 10s is a combination set screw/catch pin. It unscrews from the lower receiver with a 1/16" hex wrench. This video might help. It's not the best but I think it'll get you where you need to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTTMnQkudo0
        Well, now I feel dumb!

Now that I know what is supposed to hold it in place, I will know what to do when I finally get this one out.

Comment

• phishfood
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

Got it out. I tried to thread a small wood screw into the end of it. That spread the end enough so that a small pair of needlenose got a little bit of grab. Then I tapped the pliers with a small hammer.

Now I can't get the threaded pin to start, since the threads are buggered up.

Comment

• Old Bob
            Warrior
            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by phishfood View Post
            Got it out. I tried to thread a small wood screw into the end of it. That spread the end enough so that a small pair of needlenose got a little bit of grab. Then I tapped the pliers with a small hammer.

Now I can't get the threaded pin to start, since the threads are buggered up.
            Crap happens. Don't feel too bad about it 'cause everyone screws up once in awhile. I've had my share of 'em. If you know the thread pattern of the pin hole you could clean up the threads with a tap (chasing the threads) to see if that makes it easier to install the pin. From the video it looks like the pattern might be 6-32 but I can't say for sure. Might be metric M3 Put some blue Loctite on it when you install a new pin. Good luck!
            Last edited by Old Bob; 09-19-2020, 03:05 PM.
            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
              Warrior
              • May 2017

And let us know how you make out.

Comment

• Cowdog
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

Bookmarking this page. So that in the future when I do exactly what Phishfood did, I can reference this
                page to see how he fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                X