• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonny rotton
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

attention troubleshooters

help!!
    does anyone have an idea of why this is happening to me??? the bolt is overriding the round as it tries to feed. it gets partially fed but the bolt is not pushing on the back of the case. i then pull back a little on the charging handle allowing the round to pop up a little then it feeds.
    any ideas?? oh and it fails to lock back after the last round
  • Cloverleaf
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2020

Sounds like your rifle is under gassed and your bcg isn't coming back far enough to cycle the action properly. Do you have an adjustable gas block?

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Cloverleaf View Post
      Sounds like your rifle is under gassed and your bcg isn't coming back far enough to cycle the action properly. Do you have an adjustable gas block?

Agree

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

Better build info will generate better answers. Upper and Lower manufacture, barrel length, buffer weight, magazine used, ammo used, lubrication of bolt, brass ejection direction and distance, markings on fired brass, gas port size, gas block setting, cycling with dummy rounds, etc.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

TECH TIP by Robert Whitley, AR-X Enterprises LLC Over the years, while working with various AR-15 cartridges that require a larger bolt-face bolt (i.e. bigger than a 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem bolt-face, like those cartridges that use a 6.8 SPC bolt or the bolt face suitable for the 6.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Check your bolt carrier gas key screws. Reverse torque your gas key screws at 30 inch pounds. They should remain tight and not loosen.

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

factory ammo or handloads? bullet weight? barrel length? gas system?(rifle, midlength, carbine). as others have said, your BCG isn't being pushed back far enough. this can be caused by several things by themselves or a combination of them. as above. too heavy of a buffer. wrong buffer spring, like a rifle spring in a carbine buffer tube perhaps. under loaded ammo, rare with factory ammo, more of a possibility with reloads. anything causing excessive drag on the BCG, like tons of crud in the action that hasn't been cleaned in ages. a partially plugged gas port or gas tube. a incorrectly adjusted adjustable gas block. shooting way undersized bullets (a handloading oops, which i would think would be obvious, but you never know, like loading 25 caliber bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. i wouldn't think that's possible but......)

-tdbru

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Jonny,

Sounds like a 'Bolt-over' jam.

If your BCG is not travelling fully to the rear and locking back on last round then the the carrier instead ends up trying to feed the round up the ramp = jam.

Solution
                1. More gas
                2. Lighter buffer and/or lighter spring
                3. Both.

Comment

• jonny rotton
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2015

its one of the new group buy 16" barrels in an aero upper with a bcm rail. the bolt carrier is a lightweight nickel boron. bolt is unknown who made it. just a standard spring and buffer. this is not my first build, it may be around my 20th.
                  Last edited by jonny rotton; 10-03-2020, 02:14 PM. Reason: add something

Comment

• jonny rotton
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2015

and thank you for all the responses!!!!!!

Comment

• jonny rotton
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2015

i was shooting wolf and hornady sst factory ammo. the sst's may have functioned better than the wolf. i dont remember for sure. i just did the extractor modification.

Comment

• bigdaddyjak
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2019

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
                          help!!
                          does anyone have an idea of why this is happening to me??? the bolt is overriding the round as it tries to feed. it gets partially fed but the bolt is not pushing on the back of the case. i then pull back a little on the charging handle allowing the round to pop up a little then it feeds.
                          any ideas?? oh and it fails to lock back after the last round
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jonny rotton
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2015

the gas key is tight. i will check the alignment and how well it fits when i take it apart today. thank you for the suggestions!!

Comment

• jonny rotton
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2015

the alignment was good. the fit may be slightly on the loose side, its not very tight.

Comment

Working...
                              X