Clear All
  • Nimrod
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2016

Comment

• TexHill
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2019

Over cleaning can cause just as much or more wear on a barrel as shooting does. With today's modern, non-corrosive powders there is really no reason to clean your rifle after every trip to the range.

The military cleans after every time that they shoot their weapons for 3 reasons: tradition; it's good busy work for privates; and the unit armorer doesn't want to have to clean all of the rifles himself should he have a surprise inspection.

In this episode of the Primary & Secondary podcast, the 82nd Airborne's Small Arms Master Gunner discusses this very topic:
      Last edited by TexHill; 12-10-2020, 03:47 PM.
      When David met Goliath everyone else said, "He's too big to defeat". David said, "He's too big to miss!"

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Nimrod,

Yes, you need all the pores filled with copper to smooth that barrel. A better quality barrel will shave less copper from bullets. Just use a cleaner that strips carbon and not copper. Consider cleaning the barrel less. By all means clean the working parts but the barrel is a different kettle of fish.

Your jump to lands is normal. My longest jump to lands from rounds loaded to the max a mag will allow is the 130OTM @ 0.12". The shortest is the stubby bvullets like the 90TNT and 95VMax at .09 and .025 however this does not leave enough shank in contact with the neck for an auto loader so they get pushed further in. The best all rounders are the 123SST and 120NBT at .09". All bullets from an AR mag will have longer jumps than a bolt gun, unless you want to load them individually into the chamber - and what is the point of that. Bottom line, it cannot be helped and is all part of the equation that sees AR's shoot less accurately than a heavy precision bolt gun. In your case it is not jump to lands that have caused group blow out.

Comment

• Nimrod
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2016

Comment

• Lemonaid
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

Klem, what is your take on the anti copper fouling powders like CFE 223? If having copper in the pores helps with accuracy then will CFE 223 degrade your rifle's accuracy? I'm seeing an accuracy advantage with Lever over CFE 223 and I'm thinking that may be why.

Comment

• Nimrod
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
              Klem, what is your take on the anti copper fouling powders like CFE 223? If having copper in the pores helps with accuracy then will CFE 223 degrade your rifle's accuracy? I'm seeing an accuracy advantage with Lever over CFE 223 and I'm thinking that may be why.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Guys,

To be honest I have never used CFE so can't comment from experience.

I imagine if the inside of the barrel has been machined roughly then surely some copper is going to be deposited in the pores even if the powder burn behind it has some copper stripping properties. I also think there's a degree of marketing in powder sales and that it would not be as efficient as implied.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Comment

• Texcl2
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2020

Comment

• dammitman
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

good read and thread,,,,,confirms and saves wasteful practices for those who can undersatand. i do. i can use more barrels like nimrods!

Comment

Working...
                      X