• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sqeezeatrigger
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Cleaning chamber after steel case?

Anyone have sticky chamber after firing steel case ammo? I haven't had a problem yet but want advice just in case. Not shooting grendel as much now, have decent supply of ammo but if it can't be replaced I will shoot other caliber. Glad I have beaucoup 22lr!
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Clean it out bout every 400 rounds and it will never be a problem.

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

I just run a few brass cased rounds at the end of my session. Works for me.

Apparently the issue is the gunk that builds in the chamber, has a greater affinity for brass, than it does for the coated steel from whence it came. So, if that's the case, running a few brass casings while it's still warm and fresh, and doing so as the last few rounds at the end of a session, is a nice way to clean that out under controlled and non-urgent conditions.

Works good for me at least - I never have a problem with Grendel and steel. But then, I also reload, so running a few 7.62X39 to 6.5 Grendel fireforming shots at the end of the session is a pretty low-cost fun-shooting thing to do. If you don't reload, and are having to do that with $2/shot factory priced ammo; that's probably less attractive.
      4x P100

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I use this chamber brush and it does a good job.

Comment

• Old_School
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by sqeezeatrigger View Post
          Anyone have sticky chamber after firing steel case ammo? I haven't had a problem yet but want advice just in case. Not shooting grendel as much now, have decent supply of ammo but if it can't be replaced I will shoot other caliber. Glad I have beaucoup 22lr!
          I always had that problem shooting Wolf steel cased .223 ammo in my S&W AR. It got better over time as the barrel broke in, but if I came home and didn't clean the barrel and chamber after a shooting session, the next time at the range, both steel & brass-cased ammo would stick and many would have the rim ripped off. To solve that, I would take a chamber brush and Hoppes and spin the brush in the chamber for 2-3 seconds at low speed using a cordless drill. Never had another issue after that.

Comment

Working...
          X