• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ihmsa7br
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2021

Maxim BCG question

This seems the most appropriate location, please move if not. Those running Maxim bolts... are you finding dry works better than wet or? I am working thru a number of items on my build and in cleaning today, I am finding a bunch of gunk... leading me to the question.

TIA.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

What I like to do with new guns is lubes them soaking wet and hand cycle them 200 times. Then wipe dry everything and give a light lube before going fire it for the first time.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

What lube are you using? I've been using Slip 2k EWL wet for years and it's never been different than any other bolt.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

you can use powder lubricants but I would only use it in a desert, dusty environment where you don't want to turn dust into sludge.

Normal motor vehicle oil works for me on BCGs, barrels; and grease for trigger groups and pins.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            you can use powder lubricants but I would only use it in a desert, dusty environment where you don't want to turn dust into sludge.

Normal motor vehicle oil works for me on BCGs, barrels; and grease for trigger groups and pins.
            Klem is correct, "every shooter has their own favorite" but no need to over think it unless shooting in extreme cold or dusty environments..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpWfjVFfEU

Comment

• Red*Lion
              Warrior
              • Apr 2020

I like to use Cherry Balmz on BCG and upper receiver friction surfaces of AR's. Better than CLP and other oils for those particular areas in my opinion. I use CLP on all other areas.

Comment

• Old Bob
                Warrior
                • Oct 2019

A friend recommended the Cherry Balmz, so lately, I've been using that myself. When I was shooting three gun lots of competitors were using home-made concoctions based on Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. It would have additives like STP or transmission fluid plus their own secret sauces. I ran my ARs pretty wet with RemOil mostly. I was constantly having to clean my glasses after each stage because of the spray back.

In the video link Montana posted, the narrator rubs grease all over the bolt & the carrier races & then dunks them in the motor oil. What happens if the motor oil gets up into the carrier key. Does the gas generated from firing blow the oil out into the bolt rings... or what? Oil & grease up in that carbon rich area seems like good place create some gunk that could jam things up.
                I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                  A friend recommended the Cherry Balmz, so lately, I've been using that myself. When I was shooting three gun lots of competitors were using home-made concoctions based on Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. It would have additives like STP or transmission fluid plus their own secret sauces. I ran my ARs pretty wet with RemOil mostly. I was constantly having to clean my glasses after each stage because of the spray back.

In the video link Montana posted, the narrator rubs grease all over the bolt & the carrier races & then dunks them in the motor oil. What happens if the motor oil gets up into the carrier key. Does the gas generated from firing blow the oil out into the bolt rings... or what? Oil & grease up in that carbon rich area seems like good place create some gunk that could jam things up.
                  As long as you keep your AR lubed, you can run your AR almost indefinitely. The only negative is getting oil sprayed on your cloths and shooting glasses. The gas pressure will blow any excess oil out the vent holes that ingress the carrier key, gas rings, etc.. Over lubing has been way over exaggerated with regard to reliability..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Comment

Working...
                  X