• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hollis
    Warrior
    • Mar 2019

Bad shaving in barrel

I really enjoy reloading for and shooting my 6.5 Grendel and all the support I have received from all in this group forum. I have a problem thought that I hope someone can provide me with direction.

I have had inconsistencies with the barrel I bought here in the Group Buy a while back. I broke down and bought a bore scope to see what's going on inside and I came across the following.

burr_bore.jpg

I had a little luck moving it with a cleaning rod, but it is a relatively thick shaving that won't come off. Any hope to easily fix this?

Regards,
    Hollis
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Hollis:

When you run a rod down the barrel without anything on it, does the end of the rod stop when it hits that thing?

I figure that if it does stop then it is more than a shaving and the barrel needs to be replaced.

If it were only a shaving, you would have flattened it out or shot it out by now.

LR-55

Comment

• Hollis
      Warrior
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      Hollis:

When you run a rod down the barrel without anything on it, does the end of the rod stop when it hits that thing?

I figure that if it does stop then it is more than a shaving and the barrel needs to be replaced.

If it were only a shaving, you would have flattened it out or shot it out by now.

LR-55
      No. It is in there really good. I can move and bend it with cleaning rod, but it is not coming out. It is part of the rifling cutting that did not fully cut out.
      Last edited by Hollis; 11-09-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Hollis View Post
        No. It is in there really good. I can move and bend it with cleaning rod, but it is not coming out. It is part of the rifling cutting that did not fully cut out.
        Send it back, that is not acceptable...I had a new BCM HFB barrel that had a horrible bore that was missed by the QC department. They replaced it pronto and free of charge. This is why I check any new barrel with a bore scope..

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

What Montana advises. You won't fix that one.

LR-55

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Send the barrel back to me for warranty inspection; will send address via PM. We, of course, stand fully behind our products with a warranty for any and all manufacturer's defects.

Sometimes a gas port will have a burr, but it is easily shot out. Very surprised ANY burr in the barrel wouldn't have been shot out cuz we're talkin' extreme forces of pressure and heat.

Regarding the photo, how many lands and grooves are there? Looks like an artillery barrel!
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

You don't wet-tumble by chance, do you?
              4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post

Regarding the photo, how many lands and grooves are there? Looks like an artillery barrel!
                That's what I thought - does anyone else have that many lands and grooves?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Yo Hollis:

Like BFT and Klem asked -- how many lands and grooves are in that barrel?

Best take another picture and post it.

LR-55

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

That looks a lot like the gas port - just saying.

Like this one

Comment

• Hollis
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      That looks a lot like the gas port - just saying.

Like this one
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]18352[/ATTACH]
                      After further investigation, you may be on to something. See below. (edited)
                      Last edited by Hollis; 11-13-2021, 03:16 AM.

Comment

• Hollis
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2019

Here's some more pics. I also added the pic of the Grendel Group Logo that is on the outside of the same barrel from which the bore scope took pictures.

GrendelBarrelBurr1.jpg GrendelBarrelBurr2.jpg

GrendelBarrelLogo.jpg

This is my first time with a bore scope and I may have been fooled. This certainly looks like a metal burr, but when I put the mirror attachment on the bore scope (which is much less focused and not that easy to navigate inside the bore), the only thing I can find in this part of the barrel is the gas port. I thought I felt something with the cleaning rod and I moved it slightly, but looking again, it looks the same as before.

Still not 100% sure, but Klem certainly might be on to something.

I am going to shoot this next weekend and let's see if anything moves. It certainly doesn't make sense that, if this were a metal sliver/burr, it would certainly move when a round goes through it. My current thinking is that I simply was fooled as a bore scope rookie.
                        Last edited by Hollis; 11-13-2021, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Hollis
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                          You don't wet-tumble by chance, do you?
                          Is there some problem resulting form wet tumbling?

Comment

• lazyengineer
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Hollis View Post
                            Is there some problem resulting form wet tumbling?
                            There is if the media doesn't all get removed. I personally run SS chips, not pins. Which look much like that shape.

Though, we now know, that's just the gas port.
                            4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Hollis,

You should know by now if that's the gas port.

Measure the distance the bore scope travels down the barrel to that hole. Take it out and lay it alongside the barrel and check if it lines-up with the gas block.

Another way is to run it up and down looking for the port - It will be there.

With unlapped barrels sometimes the gas ports have burrs from the machining process. The first shot will sort that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X