• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Cure for Carbon Lock?

Hey, guys, I carbon-locked my flash hider to my 12" Grendel. Oops! Shoulda been on top of cleaning it each time. Cannot remove that sucker with a wrench! Want to somehow loosen it chemically before I crank on it anymore mechanically.

Watched a YouTube video by Erik Cortina claiming good ol' household plumbing CLR works to dissolve carbon.

Any experiences with CLR? Any advice for curing carbon lock?

ETA: If relevant, barrel steel is 41V50 with a salt-bath black nitride surface treatment.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Works good but has toxic fumes so use in a ventilated area. Soaking for 3 to 4 days should do the trick. If still stubborn, I would apply heat...

Comment

• CJW
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Right?!? And I always lube the muzzle threads with the same moly-lithium grease I use on the receiver threads for the barrel extension. Don't know if I forgot on this one, or burned it off with overheating, or what.

Just got back from Walmart, nosing around in the auto supplies area. Figured they'd have something that removed carbon from steel parts. Got some "Fuel Injector and Carburetor Cleaner"; 6 oz. bottle for $2.47. Gonna pour some in a pill bottle, stick the muzzle end with the stuck muzzle device in there overnight and see what happens....

Thanks for suggestions, was out and about when they came in; will try if this doesn't work.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
          Right?!? And I always lube the muzzle threads with the same moly-lithium grease I use on the receiver threads for the barrel extension. Don't know if I forgot on this one, or burned it off with overheating, or what.

Just got back from Walmart, nosing around in the auto supplies area. Figured they'd have something that removed carbon from steel parts. Got some "Fuel Injector and Carburetor Cleaner"; 6 oz. bottle for $2.47. Gonna pour some in a pill bottle, stick the muzzle end with the stuck muzzle device in there overnight and see what happens....

Thanks for suggestions, was out and about when they came in; will try if this doesn't work.
          Be careful it doesn't melt the pill bottle...

Comment

• CJW
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Comment

• D.Davis
                Warrior
                • Sep 2013

BFT; I'm a Kroil person too. Good to have some. Try it.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Cheap Carbon Cleaner Results

Well, it "worked." Sample size is too small to say it's a "solution" for all users in this situation. Coulda been loosened due to the chemical action; coulda been I subconsciously cranked the wrench just a little extra harder this time. Upper was secured in my vise using the Magpul BEV Block.

See photos.

NOTES: After soaking overnight, there was no visible damage to the nitrided steel. There was zero carbon in the bottle; even after the soak it was clear as water. However, dumping the liquid from the removed muzzle device there was tiny black "dust" suspended in the water-like liquid.

Going forward, am gonna be careful to put anti-seize moly-lithium on my muzzle threads and also remove the device regularly for cleaning, but what I'd really like is a reliable way to remove the caked carbon from the face of the muzzle.

Will try this again to clean up caked muzzles since I have it, but will also keep Kroil in mind.

End of the story? Dumped the used carb cleaner in my Toyota's gas tank, along with the rest of the bottle.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Having said that. Worst case, I would remove the gas lock and put it in a sonic cleaner with that solution. For ever how long it took!
                    Last edited by Harpoon1; 06-15-2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Growler
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma
                      End of the story? Dumped the used carb cleaner in my Toyota's gas tank, along with the rest of the bottle.

Comment

• myrifle
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Map gas torch from your local hardware store is all you need. Heat it up and it will come right out.

That are go dump 3 mags of wolf steel case.

Comment

• DHD
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2022

I'm a big believer in anti seize and/or moly grease on threads. I also like to keep the crown clean so I understand wanting to keep everything that is removable, removable. For busting loose locked threads I use either Kroil or Free All.

I didn't have much luck with CLR. I watched his video a while back and tried it. It did loosen up some carbon but BoreTech Carbon Remover worked better for me. I keep a small capped container that I'll drop revolver cylinders in. Talk about easy to clean! The carbon staining wipes off with little or no scrubbing. Works for muzzle devices but it will slightly discolor light colored cerakote.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Coulda misinterpreted him, but Scotty sez to use fuel additives!

Comment

Working...
                            X