X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

There's no evidence of gas leaking from the key and it seems to be fastened well, at least I can't move it. Any chance the gas ports aren't lined up? A pipe cleaner passes through just like my other carriers.

I don't have a set of inside calipers but I'll try to measure the ID of the bolt channel tonight.

Here's some pics if they do any good.
    IMAG2744.jpg
    IMAG2739.jpg
    IMAG2738.jpg
    IMAG2740.jpg
    IMAG2743.jpg
    IMAG2745.jpg
    IMAG2741.jpg

I took these with my phone so they aren't very good. I can get better ones if it will help.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Did you say that this carrier causes the same problem in 4 other balsters? If so, that is weird. I can't see anything out of the ordinary with it, other than it appears that the key is not chrome-lined, but that is just the appearance in the pics. When clean, it is easy to tell a chromed carrier key from a non-milspec carrier key. It is chromed on the inside where the gas tube inserts on a milspec key. I didn't know this for a long time.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

At a glance, the wear at the base of the key doesn't look the same on each side. Perhaps normal, as I'm not looking at any of mine at the moment, but might be something to double check.
        Drifter

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Did you say that this carrier causes the same problem in 4 other balsters? If so, that is weird. I can't see anything out of the ordinary with it, other than it appears that the key is not chrome-lined, but that is just the appearance in the pics. When clean, it is easy to tell a chromed carrier key from a non-milspec carrier key. It is chromed on the inside where the gas tube inserts on a milspec key. I didn't know this for a long time.
          Yes. My 6.5, and a 20", 16" and two 10" .223 uppers. Would it be worth trying to replace the key? I'm pretty sure the key that's on it is not CL.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
            At a glance, the wear at the base of the key doesn't look the same on each side. Perhaps normal, as I'm not looking at any of mine at the moment, but might be something to double check.
            Noticed that too but my other carriers are the same way.

Comment

I would try replacing the key with a chrome-lined, TiN, or entire hard-chrome key, as long as the bolt recess chamber is chrome-lined, and within spec for ID. That is one of the most critical dimensions on the carrier.

Another problem that was encountered with a certain maker's carriers was that they were too wide at the raceways, and had a lot of drag in the upper, leading to sluggish cycling, reliability problems. Check the OD of your raceways (the only places where the carrier actually rides in the upper) against the OD of your other carriers.

Those are the 3 areas I would look at first:

Bolt recess ID
              Raceway OD
              Then carrier key replacement

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Just following up on this...

Turns out one of the cap screw heads was torqued off but staked in place so it didn't come loose. I used an easy-out to remove the broken screw and replaced the key and screws with mil spec parts and it works just fine now.

Comment

Whenever I think there is an issue with a gas system on a direct impingement rifle, the first thing I do is replace the gas rings just to make sure that isn't the problem. That little idea has rescued me from frustration many times.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

That's one of the first things I looked at, but this bolt had fewer than 1000 rounds on it. This problem did remind me to check my 5.56 SBR and there wasn't much left of those. Replaced them before they became an issue.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Anyone know what size hole should a 18in barrel have for a rifle length gas system?

Comment

• Drifter
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                        Anyone know what size hole should a 18in barrel have for a rifle length gas system?
                        ~0.095" + or - 0.002" dependent upon other variables (ammo, buffer weight, buffer spring length & strength, BCG weight, etc).

An 18" w/ RLGS can be finicky when port size is down around 0.091"
                        Last edited by Drifter; 11-16-2013, 12:53 AM.
                        Drifter

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                          ~0.095" + or - 0.002" dependent upon other variables (ammo, buffer weight, buffer spring length & weight, BCG weight, etc).

An 18" w/ RLGS can be finicky when port size is down around 0.091"
                          +1 on the potential for being finicky. That combo is one of the most finicky, due to dwell time being so short.

But then again, XC, you wouldn't be asking about gas port sizes if you didn't already suspect this.
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                          X