X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ocharry
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2022

well this morning i am still getting the red triangle and the not secure and red https whith a line through it in the browser line...but i didnt have to jump through the hoops like yesterday...was a real pain...my pooter guy was on it when i called and had him do a sweep...i thought i had caught a bug..lol...but he said that wasnt it...he said it was on the forum side ..thats why i ran it up the pole here...he even tryed the web sight on his pooter to verify and it did the same on his pooter...i love them guys that do the sweeping for me...if there is a problen they will find and fix it...been with them for about 8 years i guess....pulled me out of the ashes more than once i tellya...lol

i can do a lot of things....but pooters aint one ofum...if it aint working i better git somebody in here cuzz it aint gona be purdy if i try to fix it....mans gota know his limitations..lol

ocharry

Comment

• ragrendel
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2021

As stated previously, it's a server/site issue. Invalid certificate so HTTPS will not work. A workaround is using HTTP which isn't secure. That's why your PC/device says unsafe. You either prompt through to access unsafely via HTTP, or you can add the site URL to the browsers trusted list. That should bypass the prompts to continue via unsafe HTTP. Those are temp fixes IMO and not a true fix. I prefer to just live with the prompts until the issue is fixed and HTTPS works. But up to you obviously...

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Any update on this ejection issue?
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• ocharry
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2022

not yet...weather has been terrible cold and windy and yesterday it rained all day...

but i did spend the day in the load room putting together ladder rounds to test with ...95gr hornady bullets and some sierra 105gr bullets...christmas colors...red and green tips everywhere

i am ready to get at it as soon as the weather stops being stupid...

i am lucky though..i dont have to go anywhere to test..i got 450yrds right out my back door..

i want to try and do some function testing tomorrow...im really hoping the extractor work i did fixes this thing

i got the bolt and extractor from you thursday i think it was...nice looking stuff..THANK YOU ..fast shipping too..so there is that to try also...if my defang and polish job dont work out

so yeah i want to get after it...just been unable to get back to it...but i will

ocharry

Comment

• ocharry
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2022

ok guys here it is..went out yesterday and did some function testing and today did some ladder work..so here goes and some interesting results

yesterday it was really windy but i thought it would be a good day to do some funtion test...so i stood in the driveway to do this so i could see exactly what the brass was doing.....

1st round. 1 load in mag only thing changed was the extractor defanged and polished...ejected at 2:30-2:45 ...bolt hold open...hmmm

2nd round. 1 loaded in mag and i added the 2.3" linier comp...case ejected at 1:30-2...hmmmm...really

3rd round. 1 loaded into mag and ...i added an H2 buffer...case ejected at 4..bolt locked open...hmmm

4th round. 1 loaded into mag...same set up as round 3...case ejected at 4 almost exactly in same spot as round 3...bolt locked open...i really wasnt expecting what i got here...but today i ran with it

everything i did was 1 thing at a time added to the previous set up

it is a little windy today too so i moved the target out to 75yrd insted of 100

i shot 35 rounds of verying flavor and the gun ran great...not one hiccup .....but it was about 55-60* today ...i want to try this set up at a colder temp...maybe in the 20's...i hope we get a day or two to try this out..but i did make it a point to run some of the 95gr loads and they ran perfect too...not a thing to complain about ejected and locked open on everything i shot today...so i dont know what to say here...was it the extractor?? or that i added the comp?? i will say i think the comp did give me more gas to deal with...it showed in the ejection angle...that is the only real things i changed, except for the H2 buffer and i really didnt expect the bolt to lock open with it but it was showing over gas to begin with....and it was not showing that before....all the loads were the same for the test.. and the H2 put the cases right where i wanted them to be...very consistat toady

also i will say that the gun really likes the sierra 105 blitzking and AR-COMP....wow it reaaally like that combo...and the AR-COMP was showing good groups with the sierra 120 pro hunter bullet too....maybe the comp on the barrel changed the harmonics of the barrel to the good, and bumped the gas up for a dwell bump...not sure, but i tell ya that 105 made a little pencil hole for 5 shots...gona put some of them together again to make sure it wasnt a fluke ...the 120s did good too with a nickel or maybe a little less size group....was a good day..and i needed some trigger theropy...rifle ran really good and got some dang good groups

i was really surprised at the results i got and how the rifle ran..it never missed a beat...so we shall see if it was fluke today or not and a run in some cooler temps is on the plate

ocharry

Comment

• ocharry
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2022

20230305_132322.jpg20230305_132329.jpg

i hope this works..lol...first time for everything i guess

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Glad it's working and good shooting!

I'm gonna say it was the extractor needed defanging.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• ocharry
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2022

BFT...i do in fact believe the extractor was absolutly involved in what it was doing...even if it was just a little...first round out of it told me the extractor had changed the ejection timing...because that is the only thing that changed

i do know that before the cases were hitting the case deflector pretty hard because it always left a lot of brass smudge on it...i always cleaned it off so when i made changes it was kind of a marker

but this last run of testing it didnt show any signs of brass on the deflector...nothing...and i think that is because the extractor is letting go of the rim just a touch sooner and the heavier buffer slowed the bolt down.....

just watching it run now vs before, it is a completely different acting rifle....we shall see... if it gets colder i want to run some rounds through it then for another test run....

i want to say it is fixed....but.... it is gona have to prove it to me..lol...lots more rounds down the pipe....bigger sample size if you will

ocharry

Comment

• ocharry
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2022

well boys yesterday was the first day it was cold (28-30) and not doing something wet....so i took the grendel out for a spin ....

first round out it puked....what the heck is goin on here...cleared the rifle and next round puked...this test was with the 95gr v-max bullets...deliberate..yes...so for sure the cold has been and is still a problem....

after the gun warmed up it did seem to get better....but a couple times the bolt was locked open and the case was stuck in the extractor...i had to literally pull the case off the extractor....so i think i still have a problem with the extractor...although it does not seem to hold onto the rim of the case when i have it off the bolt...so not sure what is going on with that thing but before i take it out of the rifle again i am going to lock the bolt open and see if i can make a case stick on the bolt to see just where it was or is getting caught

it is running better than before when it was cold...but we aint there yet....heck it may never run these 95gr bullets consistent...well when it is cold anyway...ran them fine the other day when it was in the 50's

i'll be back...lol

ocharry

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Can we get some pics of your extractor?

Preferably the underside of it so we can see the lip corner geometry from a rear view angle.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ocharry
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2022

LRRPF52...

the back side of the lip was exactly where the case was being held onto...it was not doing it with the extractor off the bolt..but when installed on the bolt those corners were digging into the rim and trapping the case from ejecting....when i took the bolt out of the rifle and played with it under the big eye i could see exactly why this was happening...and i could make it happen....for sure the extractor was holding onto the rim

so i defanged the back side of the lips until they did not hold onto the rim...put it on the bolt, take it off...probably had it on and off the bolt 6-7 times....when i got it where i thought was good i polished it really well with a felt bob and some jewlers rouge

i also relieved the out board side of the radius just a touch....not sure if it needed that but i cleared it anyway...looked like the case was bumping there to and helping with the locking the case on the extractor thing...lol...not now....case comes off the extractor when it is on the bolt like greased lightening...lol.....oh sure ...lol

rainy and snowy today...but saturday it is supposed to be in the 20's....more testing if you please...making some more testing fodder today so i gots me plenty of boolets for saturday

so if this dont work out...fingers crossed...when i take the bolt out i will get a couple of pics for you to look at....i do plan on getting a couple more extractors from BFT just to have extras...i did order a bolt and a extractor kit from him the other day

also want to add BFT....i tried to answer you PM but it said your mailbox is full and i cant reply until you empty it some.....something about exceeding your limit

thanks guys

ocharry
                        Last edited by ocharry; 03-16-2023, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• ocharry
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2022

OK fellers...back with the freezer report..lol

yes it was a freezer yesterday...saturday 3-18-23..high was 23* with a wind of 10-15mph...wind chill was 9*

took the gun and ammo out to the table and set it up and left it there for about 20 min.....the gun and ammo was already kinda chilled because i left it in the shop...was about 45* i guess in there...i dont keep it heated unless i am in there doing something...was 16* friday night

i loaded 20 rounds with the 95gr hornady bullet and h322 that it likes...just didnt want to run consistant before when cold..but does pretty good in the grouping department

so after the soak in the freezer for about 20min, i went out and just banged at steel with 10 rounds....my fingers were popcycles after 10 shots....but the rifle ran perfect ...shucked them cases out like a boss...well now that is an improvement....so i left it siting out there in the wind and cold and came into the house and put some wood on the fire...build a pot of venison stew and made a cup of coffee and pondered what just happened...45min all together i guess... rifle is still out there in the freezer for all this...i wanted it really cold for the last 10 rounds

so last ten rounds went just like the first...not even...notta..nuttin...ran flawless....so... did we fix it??? more testing and time i think...i really want to trust it but a 20 round sample size is kinda small...well it is 23 rounds i guess, i did run 3 rounds through it the other day after i worked the extractor...it was about 45* that day but it shucked them out too

i will say i was impressed at how hard those 95gr hornady v-max bullets were smacking the steel at 200...pretty good whack..and a pretty good splash group there too...

so right now i am pretty happy... we have made a very big improvement... and for the second time i want to say i think we fixed it...it sure looks like we did...but i dont really want to go there just yet.....but it is running better than ever...plus i bet if you could get a 5 gal bucket sitting in the right place it would put all the cases in the bucket ..at about 4 oclock .....i had a nice little pile of 20 about 4-5 ft out...so that looks good too

so i want to get some more stuff loaded and shoot it somemore....test more and maybe get some blood on it...thats why i built it to start with

so right now i am happy with this rifle i built...very accurate..looks good and right now i want to say the gremlins are out of it...we shall see i guess and i want to thank you all for chiming in and helping me trouble shoot this thing...im not sure i would have looked to hard at that extractor if not for you guys...glad you pointed me there for sure

thank you all very much

ocharry

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Comment

Working...
                            X