• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glock17
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2023

AR15 6.5 Grendel Failure to Load

I'm having issues with my rifle loading a round after firing the first round from the magazine ??
    I've tried 10 rd Elander mags, Dura mags, CT Products LLC, D&H Tactical, ASC and Alexander Arms with NO Luck !!!
    I've tried loading 3-rds, 5-rds, 10-rds and 20-rds with No Success !!!
    My Gas Block is none adjustable. No problems with my lugs. I'm looking for some trouble shooting soulutions ??

Thanks in Advance
    Glock17
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Does your bolt carrier hold open on the last round consistently??

Need more information on issues loading the second round...

Comment

• Glock17
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2023

Originally posted by montana View Post
      Does your bolt carrier hold open on the last round consistently??

Need more information on issues loading the second round...
      No Sir !!!

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

If this is a factory built rifle you need to contact the manufacturer before you do anything or you may void the warranty..

There is a lot of information already posted on this forum about gas related/ejection issues..I would read up on those first..

Clocked-out of alignment gas block/over sized for barrel journal/loose gas blcok
          Cracked gas tube/ worn gas tube button
          Loose carrier key/out of spec carrier key
          Gas inefficient bolt carrier/bolt gas ring issue
          Buffer spring weight/recoil spring
          Tight chamber
          Short chamber
          Rough chamber
          Ammunition type/issue/sizing
          Barrel port location/size
          Extractor issues
          Magazine feed lip/fit to rifle/issues

Sometimes it may be an undersized gas port, but reaming out the barrel port should be the last option when all other possibilities are eliminated.. Process of elimination..
          Last edited by montana; 03-13-2023, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• vaguru
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2022

Try some 20-50 ( 20-40, 10W30) synthetic oil on the bolt carrier, lubed up well on all areas that make contact with the upper. Shoot one shot at a time to test for complete bolt lock back. Might take 100 rounds or so to "wear" enough to function. If no joy, then other items as listed above need to be checked/addressed.

Comment

• Glock17
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2023

Les Baer LBC LBR Bbl 20" Rifle Length gas system

Comment

• Growler
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Comment

• eggman918
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2023

If this is a complete ready to shoot upper then 100% return it so they know what they did wrong, if you assembled it I agree with Montana start with the mechanisms 1st operation once you have that move on to the second. I was a machinist in the heavy repair field so it was normal to receive a project in varying sizes of shrapnel and the first rule is "first do no harm" same here, so the gas port size is your LAST option IMHO.
                  Easiest oops to do and fix would be gas port to block alignment, I would also work BCG in receiver by hand with and without the bolt inspecting "feel" of each part as it interacts with it's matting part....
                  The issue limiting your 1st operation "should" be between the gas port and the BCG and in my experience there is a "Tell" there if you can see, feel, hear it...$.02
                  I'm new to the AR but have 4 decades of troubleshooting and repair under my belt and the process is the same no matter what the machine is.

Comment

Working...
                  X