• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheSerialHobbyist
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2023

Need help diagnosing FTE issues

Hi everyone! I've had a lot of issues with this rifle and need some help figuring out what's going wrong. I'm getting fairly regular failures to eject (maybe one out of every five shots). See video:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Some background:

This has a Satern Liberty 22" DF SS barrel with a rifle-length gas system. Regular carbine buffer spring with regular carbine buffer weight (tried a "reduced power" buffer spring, but that had issues too). Also tried an adjustable gas block, but that seemed worse so now it has a standard gas block. Bolt is from Satern, the BCG is an NBS "Chameleon" with PVD coating.

Can anyone tell what the issue is from looking at the video? If you look at my previous post, you can see that I have a bit of a history with issues with this rifle, but I don't want to distract too much and am hoping someone can identify the issue from the video.
  • TheSerialHobbyist
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2023

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I just measured the bolt face depth and it is 0.1350". Don't have the tools to measure headspace on the barrel chamber, though.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• TheSerialHobbyist
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2023

I thought as much...

I went ahead and ordered a new bolt (the SixFive UltraBolt). I could maybe try to file down the extractor lip edges on the bolt I have, but I figured it would be better to just get a "good" bolt.

We'll see how that goes!

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

Could be your extractor. Check to see if its "ears" have sharp points. Are there "fang" marks on the inside of the cartridge rims? If your extractor does have points & leaves fang marks, you'll probably have to grind off the points until you get good ejection at every shot. With your bolt removed from the carrier, you can check this by placing a cartridge under the extractor & then pushing it from the side like the ejector plunger would be pushing it out of the bolt. If the cartridge sticks in the bolt, the extractor will need modification. There are YouTube videos on this plus recent threads in this forum discussing the problem.

Added comment: Oops, Looks like my post is redundant. Got beat to the punch!
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Old Bob
            Warrior
            • Oct 2019

I've ground down some I had problems with & they work OK now. But, buying the Ultra Bolt is a great idea too. You get both a great bolt & extractor at the same time.
            Last edited by Old Bob; 03-23-2023, 11:52 PM.
            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• imaguy3
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

If you have a donut or o-ring on the extractor spring try taking that off too.

Comment

Working...
              X