Troubleshooting two new builds

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Excellent explanation, poorly reamed chambers/headspace are quite common..There can be other variables but this is a good start..

Comment

• John800
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2023

I will check into those things, thanls for thehelp. Also one thing to note: they are both having failures every single time, not just occasionally.

Comment

• Bonas
          Warrior
          • Mar 2022

You're going to have to isolate variables one at a time. Start with good quality factory ammo. As noted above, check the chambers. If the cartridges drop freely, move on to ensuring the gas block and gas port are correctly aligned. Troubleshoot with the known-to-work lower. Make sure it has a standard buffer and a standard, good quality buffer spring. Borrow a bolt and a magazine that are known to work. Report back. For the barrel that won't eject at all, you can hand feed the round until it ejects.

Check the lowers' function on uppers known to work. If everything, checks out, and they still won't cycle, consider buying some good headspace gauges, if you can find them.

While it won't help you now, this kind of stuff is why I only use good quality parts anymore. Low end parts are a false economy, in my opinion. I've been where you are, and I avoid it now.
          Last edited by Bonas; 06-28-2023, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Steve_evetS
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2023

Originally posted by John800 View Post
              I will check into those things, thanls for thehelp. Also one thing to note: they are both having failures every single time, not just occasionally.
              Hi did you find out what the problem was?

Comment

Working...
              X