Fail to Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fail to Feed

I just completed my grendel, ARPerformance barrel and bolt, AR Stoner 10 rd magazine. I was having intermittent fail to feeds. I researched the forums, corrected the feed ramps, no luck.
    It didn't matter which side of the magazine it fed from or where the cartridge was in the stack.
    The cartridge was almost in the chamber, just enough to tell it wasn't straight inline with the chamber, pull the bolt back a fraction of an inch and let go, it's chambered.
    What I finally discovered was my ejector was the culprit!!!
    This is a 7.62x39 bolt, the ejector was protruding enough that the caertridge was being caught by it and not sliding over to feed into the bolt face. I polished the end of the ejector but that didn't help.
    I then removed the ejector, ground a slight angle on it (slope to center of the bolt) did not shorten oal of it just angled it so the rim would slide over and not get hung up , repolished it, reassembled it, I then hand cycled 20- rounds thru it without any misfeed at all.
    Hope this helps Lawman106
  • Lead Chucker

I had same problem with mine! I did shorten the ejector rod a bit & works great now! Bolt came from saturn. I know a few other ones from them that has had the same problem & had to shorten the ejector rod.

Comment

I had the same problem with one Satern bolt. I contacted them and they said that they had a bad batch of bolts with the ejectors too long, and would replace it at no cost. I just polished down the ejector to the proper length, and it works great. Their newer bolts I assume have been checked for this problem.
      My later Satern barrel and bolt had no problem.

Comment

• terrywick4

I am now having this problem with my Satern Barrel as well. How much did you have to shorten the ejector rod?

Comment

Im having this exact issue. How should i go about fixing it? vshorten the ejector rod or shaving the ejector???

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Chuy There is some confusion by the OP. He talks about having problems with the "ejector" but he is clearly describing the extractor. It is much easier to start with the extractor because the pin pushes out easy whereas the ejector uses a roll pin through the side of the bolt.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the ejector. A sharp, pronounced ejector can hang up the rim of the case, so many hi-power shooters and smiths radius the ejector and polish it mirror smooth for reliable feeding.

Some people cut their ejector spring coils, so their brass lands in a nice little pile right next to them. Something I learned within the year is that the selector spring is also the same spring as the ejector spring, in case you need one for reference or emergency. The milspec springs are made to a certain standard, while there are unkowns surrounding many after-market springs, as well as detents.

Comment

anyone have any pictures of what to shave? i dont want to start shaving stuff and have to get a new one.

Comment

Here's an example of the angle placed on an ejector, to prevent this type of FTF:

Comment

It sounds like I am having the same type of issues with the same bolt. Can you post up some better pictures of what you did to the extractor? Or email them to me at uneedit00@hotmail.com that would be a lot of help. Notice the nick on the back of the rim of the case as well. Does this look like what yours is doing?

Here is what mine is doing.

Comment

• rasp65
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by chuy View Post
                      anyone have any pictures of what to shave? i dont want to start shaving stuff and have to get a new one.
                      Chuy It is a good idea to have a spare on hand before modifying the ejector.

Comment

You can just radius the ejector pin. It is the pin opposite of the extractor, which is also spring-driven axially. If the ejector has a sharp edge on it, it is likely to arrest the side of the rim of the case, resulting in the situation posted by 03Cobra.

Comment

Working...
                        X