Bloodstained
    • Dec 2020

New Build, persistent jamming

• Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Eye,

Sounds like the ammunition.

Either both chambers are too small, or the ammunition is too big - More likely the ammunition. Whether the build is a thermal fit or not should have nothing to do with it. GO/NO Gauges will solve this dilemma instantly. If you don't have ready access to gauges then a factory round is a sort of gauge. At least factory ammunition should be less than SAAMI.

What ammunition are you using? If you are using handloaded ammo then it introduces a variable. Just because your reloads work in your gun does not mean they'll work in anyone elses. Apologies if you know this already.

With the BCG out, can you drop an unfired round into the clean chamber with the barrel pointing at the ground. Press it with your finger to mimic the bolt pushing it into battery. Then turn the barrel up pointing at the sky and see if it falls back out. Doing this with factory ammo should have the round fall back out with gravity, or at least not stick.

Comment

• Eye_guy
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2020

Klem,

Appreciate the response. My buddy is shooting hornady factory ammo.

And yes, with the bolt out a load can be pushed in and then it falls out.

All I shoot is handloads, but sounds like he needs to try some different ammo selections.

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

The OP's first paragraph referenced "bullets" but it appears from the rest of the discussion that the OP is discussing the cartridge or a fired case.

Picking up on what Klem wrote, are you using factory ammunition in these functional checks? (Smarter than using reloads.)

Try coating the entire case with a dark magic marker and then chamber and eject the unfired case. There should be marks where the case and chamber fit is too tight.

I had this problem with my 20 Grendel wildcat. I found marks where the body and shoulder meet. Bumping the case a bit more during resizing solved my problem.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Eye,

So two barrels, two uppers, and two bolts all have compromised unlocking/ejecting. Unfired factory ammunition can go in and out of the chambers normally. Factory ammunition can also be fired, but won't eject properly.

I am now thinking it is a gas issue.

The common parts in all this are the carrier, the block and the gas tube. Maybe gas is restricted somewhere. If you turn off the gas, or fire an AR without a gas system expect to have to pry the charge handle with some effort, due to the case stuck in the chamber. Even a small amount of gas will unlock and unstick a spent case, and you can then manually work the action to eject it. But when there is no gas, cases become stuck in the chamber.

You could swap your BCG with his and see how that goes. It may be the gas key is loose but unlikely. It could also be something blocking the gas tube but again, unlikely and easily checked. That leaves the block.

Maybe the barrel's gas port is not lining up with the gas block hole. Are you pushing the block all the way to the barrel shoulder, or leaving the MILSPEC handguard gap (0.025")? Some gas blocks are machined to butt up against the barrel shoulder, and some only work with the MILSPEC gap With calipers you can measure the distance from the edge of the gas block to the centre of the hole, and then measure the barrel shoulder to the centre of the gas port and see if they are the same. Doesn't take much for the gas port and gasblock to be misaligned, and then you get what you are describing.
          Last edited by Klem; 07-16-2023, 05:55 AM.

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Adding a chapter 2 to Klem's, had a friend ( who is an armorer ) who built up a standard 556 and had similar issues. Did the bolt swap, barrel swap, go/no-go gauges, etc with no success. Turned out, the bolt carrier was chrome lined and the thickness of the plating was inconsistent where the bolt neck went thru the smaller aperature in the carrier and was briefly sticking in place. Replaced the carrier with a non-plated one and all was well.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by just_john View Post
              Turned out, the bolt carrier was chrome lined and the thickness of the plating was inconsistent where the bolt neck went thru the smaller aperature in the carrier and was briefly sticking in place. Replaced the carrier with a non-plated one and all was well.
              All mil spec carriers are chrome plated on the inside..This is why many nitride carriers are out of spec because they are machined with the same specs as chrome lined and don't compensate for the chrome thickness..If the bolt was also chrome lined, then an excessive tight tolerance could occur..

The tolerance between the carrier I.D. boat tail bore and the bolt tail O.D. is .0019 to .0021..

If this occurred after charging a round, then there is more going on than just a gas issue..

Could be the barrels are getting clocked in the uppers (impeding bolt rotation and ejection), chamber problems, upper/ barrel extension tolerance issues, etc..
              Last edited by montana; 07-16-2023, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Eye_guy
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2020

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

My thought - it's your barrel throat. Replacing the barrel with the same barrel, means it still has the same throat.

For whatever reason, it's common for manufacturers to short throat a Grendel, so that mag length rounds with an agive that's forward of the case neck much any at all, will jam into the throat. Like - REALLY common; to the point of basically standard. 123 H's at mag-length are close on this already. Who's barrel are you using?

Try different ammo to see if they can seat and be withdrawn. Do the sharpie test (which isn't definitive). Maybe this is or isn't your problem - maybe it's just how this manufacturer cut the chamber. But with Grendel, it's so common to be short-throated, that on almost any issue be it reliability or accuracy, I pretty much auto-advise to always start looking there, at the throat depth.
                  Last edited by lazyengineer; 07-16-2023, 08:58 PM.
                  4x P100

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

+1 for lazyengineer!
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                      My thought - it's your barrel throat. Replacing the barrel with the same barrel, means it still has the same throat.

For whatever reason, it's common for manufacturers to short throat a Grendel, so that mag length rounds with an agive that's forward of the case neck much any at all, will jam into the throat. Like - REALLY common; to the point of basically standard. 123 H's at mag-length are close on this already. Who's barrel are you using?

Try different ammo to see if they can seat and be withdrawn. Do the sharpie test (which isn't definitive). Maybe this is or isn't your problem - maybe it's just how this manufacturer cut the chamber. But with Grendel, it's so common to be short-throated, that on almost any issue be it reliability or accuracy, I pretty much auto-advise to always start looking there, at the throat depth.
                      I agree, but he stated :
                      Originally posted by Eye_guy View Post
                      And yes, with the bolt out a load can be pushed in and then it falls out.
                      If he did this correctly, then the bullet would have jammed in the throat preventing the cartridge from falling out..

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by montana View Post
                        I agree, but he stated :

If he did this correctly, then the bullet would have jammed in the throat preventing the cartridge from falling out..
                        Maybe - but then, his own execution of that test appears to not mimic the degree of force the bolt is applying, since he experiences this issue even if unfired, if he lets the spring and bolt press it in. Could just be a crazy-rough chamber that's short on headspace as well, I suppose.
                        4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

The idea a tight throat and maybe a rough or coated chamber doesn't sound plausible given he has tried two "identical" 18" BCM barrels with the same results. Plus as Montana pointed out, the test where you drop a live round into the chamber and reverse to see if it falls out freely would have it sticking.

I'm also thinking any interference fit between the bolt and carrier would be noticeable when they swapped and assembled both bolts into the same carrier. It still could be leaking gas at the BCG however if the tolerances were out, or the gas key loose. Not enough to cause a sticky spent case however.

Eye,
                          I don't imagine the tight thermal fit has anything to do with the problem. If you fitted the barrel all the way to where the barrel extension butts up against the receiver nose, and then cranked the barrel nut to its spec ft/lbs (which pulls the barrel extension in to where it is supposed to be) then all is well. You would have worked the action a few times when assembled and then fired the trigger. If the BCG goes into battery and the trigger can be fired then there's no reason the barrel/upper assembly will be the cause of a fired case jammed in the chamber.
                          Last edited by Klem; 07-17-2023, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Comment

• jasper2408
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2019

Will be interesting to see what the problem turns out to be.

A couple of summers ago I was out shooting and a young fella showed up at the range and he had just bought a new Aero Precision, assembled from the factory, upper. The upper was brand new and had never been fired.

It would only shoot one shot like a single shot and would not eject the fired case. The bolt would not even move rearward when it was fired. It acted like it was not getting any gas. He had to force the case out by hand using a lot of force. It would load the cartridge from a magazine and go into battery just fine and it would fire the round just not eject it.

We did check the gas block and the tube and they were good to go and I asked him if he had installed anything new on the rifle. He said that he had put a new modular style trigger in the night before so I looked at it and found that the 2 tightening screws at the back of the housing had never been tightened or had come loose. I am guessing that they were never tightened and those screws stick up quite a bit above the trigger housing when they are most of the way screwed out. The trigger was pinned but was loose enough to stop the bcg from moving or those 2 screws sticking up were messing with it. We tightened the screws and everything started working correctly again. Shot real good after that.

Just my .02.
                              Last edited by jasper2408; 07-17-2023, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X