Is there something very wrong with my Faxon barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cb4017
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by gofastman View Post
    Update if anyone cares, the barrel is junk. I put a new barrel on and I'm shooting groups that make the previous one laughable.
    Here are some pictures of the bore of the problem barrel. Probably very obvious to someone who knows better, but I didn't know what I didn't know.
    Did Faxon replace the barrel or did you go with something else?
    Cliff
    USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
      Warrior
      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      I would heed the advice of Montana and check the headspace.
      I kind of agree, but I also believe the road Klem is headed down could tell the story. It is not uncommon for factory ammo to be set .150" off the lands.

I don't have the time to calculate his metric numbers, so will leave it at that. In the first pic it looks like it could be much more than that.

gofastman how much is that space in your first pic, can you measure with a caliper? Can you measure your case length before seating a bullet? And the COAL you set the bullet at?

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      Particularly since you switched out bolts.
      I would be surprised if this turned out to be a bolt issue, which I think you are ruling out.

I like your advice on the 120 grain SMKs, but the Grendel seems to be one of the most forgiving cartridges to load for.

I've been wrong before and could be wrong now, but seems more data is needed to issolate the problem.'

Alan

From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• gofastman
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by cb4017 View Post

Did Faxon replace the barrel or did you go with something else?
        Went with something else.

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

when you installed the replacement barrel, did you need to use the shim ring again?

Comment

Working...
          X