• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BL2551
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2023

my first 6.5 G build, not going into battery

So I am brand new to the 6.5 grendel. I have built several AR's in the past in various calibers (multiple 223's, 300BO, and even 9mm), and had no problems previously. This time I put it all together and took it to the range loaded it up, released the bolt, aim, and click... didn't fire. the first round when I release the bolt doesn't go into battery properly. Once I get it in place the follow up shots cycle perfectly, but I am almost always having problems with that first round seating in properly. What could be the problem? This one was built to become my go to deer hunting rifle, so not knowing if my first shot is going to fire is a big concern.
  • mtnlvr
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Is it not in battery? Does the forward assist get it there?

How are you chambering the first round? With the bolt catch? Or charging handle?

I feel like I had a fail to strip the first round with mine but I don't recall how I resolved that.

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

It may be the springs in the mag .

Comment

• BL2551
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2023

I tried smacking the bolt catch and using the charge handle, and have had the same problem. Might be less problem if I use the charging handle to pull the bolt all the way back, but still not consistent. the forward assist does seem to help, but it wasn't always enough by itself. It functions perfectly when I finally do get it all the way in.

Comment

• BL2551
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2023

sundowner, I do wonder if it is a mag issue. Once I think I remember using my hand to push the mag in a little more and it actually stripping the round easier and the bolt closing more fully. Maybe I should try with other mags as well. It would be great if it's that simple of a fix.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Yes, check the mag. Particularly the front edge, if the bullet esp the case mouth, is hitting that edge then it misfeeds into the chamber. More recoil/feeding energy can overcome, but this is 1 possibility. If it is the front edge then a dremel to lower it 0.1-0.15" should do the trick.

If the spring might be too strong, then try loading up with 1 or 2 less than full load... see if any difference.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Does it do it if you feed a round from the left side of the magazine?

One problem the early PPC AR-15 guys found was that the ejector could bind up on the side of the case rim from right side presentation in the magazine.

What barrel, bolt, and magazines are you using?
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Does your extractor have a rubber O ring?

Using an O ring (especially with the Grendel) can create too much tension with the extractor, making it hard for the extractor to rise over the rim of the case when chambering a round..

If it has the O ring, remove it and give it a try..

Comment

• BL2551
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2023

I'll definitely check that out. now that you mention it, I think it might have been a little easier to get it to work with less rounds in the mag. I'll have to test it next trip.

Comment

• BL2551
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2023

not really sure if it has the O ring... it's a toolcraft complete BCG. I'll have to take a look and see.

Comment

• BL2551
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2023

What barrel, bolt, and magazines are you using?[/QUOTE]

I have a 16" Faxon match barrel, a toolcraft BCG, and have been using a 10 round AR stoner mag.

Comment

• Steve_evetS
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2023

Originally posted by BL2551 View Post
                        What barrel, bolt, and magazines are you using?

I have a 16" Faxon match barrel, a toolcraft BCG, and have been using a 10 round AR stoner mag.[/QUOTE]

U figure it out yet?

Comment

Working...
                        X