Parts list as follows...

18in ballistic advantage barrel
    Ballistic advantage 6.5 grendel 2 bolt
    Anderson upper
    Tool craft BCG
    Odin adjustible gas block
    Wilson rifle length gas tube
    Tested with 2 e-lander mags and 1 dura mag

I'll start this off by saying I'm NOT a gun smith however I've built aprox 50 different guns from 80% 1911s to custom Remington 700 bolt guns so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing however I've never had this issue.
    Everything went together without issue. Took it out for a test fire with 1 round in the mag and the bcg locked back as it should but the case is left in the chamber . Tried with 2 rounds in the mag and it double feeds. With the gas wide open it will cycle 2 rounds before it starts jamming again.
    I have checked gas block alignment 5 times disassembled the whole gun and installed on a known working 556 upper tried all of the above listed mags along with a couple 556 mags just for the sake of scratching my head. I installed a cheap (but working) 6.5 grendel barrel that belongs to a friend and i still can't get this thing to run. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Murraymc711; 11-15-2023, 04:32 PM. Reason: Solution found
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

One thing you can try.
    Keep the bolt, but swap the bolt carrier for a non-Toolcraft, even a 556 bolt carrier is fine, and also swap out the firing pin, for a known, non-toolcraft, 556 spec firing pin.
    Others may have more insights, but toolcraft has been known to use its own length of firing pin and weird length of bolt (which you don't have, but maybe the firing pin, still), the BA grendel bolt should be proper spec. but swap out the things around it.
    I've had a couple of bolt carriers fail to do their job for me... can't really explain but when I put the (offending) bc away in the drawer then things started to cycle right.

Plus... you're using factory ammo to start with, right? Always start your new builds with factory ammo.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Murraymc711
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2023

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
      One thing you can try.
      Keep the bolt, but swap the bolt carrier for a non-Toolcraft, even a 556 bolt carrier is fine, and also swap out the firing pin, for a known, non-toolcraft, 556 spec firing pin.
      Others may have more insights, but toolcraft has been known to use its own length of firing pin and weird length of bolt (which you don't have, but maybe the firing pin, still), the BA grendel bolt should be proper spec. but swap out the things around it.
      I've had a couple of bolt carriers fail to do their job for me... can't really explain but when I put the (offending) bc away in the drawer then things started to cycle right.

Plus... you're using factory ammo to start with, right? Always start your new builds with factory ammo.
      I have tried one standard (psa) BCG out of my 300blk rifle and the one out of my 556. However i used the tool craft pin.
      Yes sir i have 40 rounds of box ammo barns and 40 rounds of box ammo Hornady. Gun won't cycle at all with the barns and when loaded with Hornady it will fire and eject 1 round feed the next and jam.

Comment

• Murraymc711
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2023

I have shot a total of 80 rounds through it trying to adj the gas block ect.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Murraymc711 View Post
          Parts list as follows...

18in ballistic advantage barrel
          Ballistic advantage 6.5 grendel 2 bolt
          Anderson upper
          Tool craft BCG
          Odin adjustible gas block
          Wilson rifle length gas tube
          Tested with 2 e-lander mags and 1 dura mag
          What's in your buffer tube? Standard rifle spring and buffer?
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Murraymc711
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2023

I have ordered an aero 6.5 BCG and a geissele super 42 braided buffer spring... hopefully i can get this thing fixed. Any 6.5 gurus around central fl want to get together and look at this thing? I have a 1k range at my house.... lol.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Murray,

I read there's enough gas to lock back on last round, so not a gas system problem. But the case is left stuck in the chamber. And the extractor claw is slipping off the rim rather than pull the case out.

It doesn't sound like early extraction where the case can still be expanded and gripping the chamber. This is more for shorter barrels and gas systems.

I'm leaning towards where 52 is going with this. The chamber might be reamed too tight and even after contracting cases are still hard up against the chamber. Another explanation is a weak extractor slipping off the rim. Or the extractor can't close fully on the rim.

But this does not explain the double feed. It is a new barrel and action so the feeding could be a different issue to the case jamming.

Comment

• Murraymc711
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2023

Yes sir. Very first thing i check after a bad 22 nosler build i had several years ago.

@klem
                  There are heavy extractor marks on the spent casing after firing but again the few times i have gotten it to cycle brass lands at 3 like its supposed to. Fires round 1, cycles the 2nd fires round 2 doesn't extract spent casing and feeds round 3 causing a jam. However most of the time it fires round 1 doesn't extract and feeds round 2 causing a jam.
                  I have 1 4.5oz buffer and one 3oz I've tried in it maybe going to a h3? Or bolt issue?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-13-2023, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      Ballistic Advantage is known for using small size gas ports on their 6.5 Grendel barrels.
                      Somewhere online I read that some folks were drilling the port out to .125" to get them to operate correctly.

I don't have a 6.5 Grendel barrel with the gas port exposed, but I do have a 300 blackout barrel that has a .125" gas port on it. I have a 16" 308 barrel that has a gas port that is about 1/2 that size.

EDIT: I got my 12" Faxon barrel today and the gas port on it is about .075".

KW
                      Last edited by Konocti's Wigwam; 11-13-2023, 11:49 PM.
                      From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• Murraymc711
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2023

Alright guys i finally fixed the issue! For some reason it won't let me upload pictures to explain what I'm seeing but it turned out to be the bolt AND extractor. 60 rounds in this morning and zero problems shooting .65 moa at 100 and 1 moa at 200. Rain put a dent in my plans but I'm ready to stretch her legs and see what she's got. Thanks for all the replys and ideas!

Comment

• Murraymc711
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2023

New BCG from aero precision fixed the problem. The geissele super 42 H1 buffer smoothed her out.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Good deal thanks for the update!

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Murray,

What was wrong with your extractor?

And if that was the problem why did changing everything else make any difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X