• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drykilned
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Manual extraction of unfired cartridge.

First, I have built numerous AR's in various calibers. Both of my 6.5 Grendels are the only caliber I have ever had with this problem. All the others create no difficulty pulling the charge handle to extract unfired cartridges! The Grendels both cycle and fire flawlessly and are accurate. I have been using both for over 5 years with this problem because the only time I have this problem is when hunting and clear the weapon when done for the day! No problem at the range because I never have a round left in the chamber when done shooting for the day. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT IS WRONG? Neither rifle has EVER had a store bought round shot through as I reload everything I shoot. None of my other AR calibers have this problem.

Thankyou for any and all suggestions. I have only built 2 grendels, but many other calibers including multiple 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout.
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Maybe because SAAMI Grendel has a compound throat?

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

Bump the shoulder back another .002 on the brass. Sounds like you aren't sizing quite enough to me. Only real other thing I can think of is you are driving into the lands when chambering and that can be catastrophicly bad. Any marks on the bullet after extraction?
      Last edited by Zeneffect; 01-06-2024, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Like said any marks on the bullet? I suspect your loads are a little long and contacting the lands with the bullet or not sizing enough or both.

Gendel compound throat is there for start pressure reduction mostly from what I understand, works IMO. Gets the engraving of the rifling started on the bullet more gradually instead of all at once.

Edit to add cover a round (dummy Round) with a sharpie and chamber it makes contact where the sharpie mark rubs off might give better indication than marks on bullet or brass.
        Last edited by kmon; 01-06-2024, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• drykilned
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2018

Thanks, no marks and bullet is seated to correct OAL for that bullet, 123gr SST. I will try to rest sizing die since I have had this problem for several years with 2 different Grendel, both are MOA accurate so I have never tried to change the setup.
          Last edited by drykilned; 01-08-2024, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-08-2024, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X