Need help with bolt not closing all the way,not able to open after seated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with bolt not closing all the way,not able to open after seated

Hey guys just got first build done went to shoot today and loaded one round in mag pulled CH back and bolt would not close all the way,if I locked the bolt back and then release the bolt will lock but then I can pull CH back unless I use a lot of force to pull it back. It looks like the bolt is getting stuck and not turning. Also when I get the shell out it has bad nicks on it.

Blackhole weaponry .264lbc 24" BB
    M16 bolt carrier
    Type II bolt
    Vltor upper

This is a very common problem. One of two issues is at play. Either the case is not resized to SAMMI specification or the bullet is not seated deeply enough. Try an empty case, if the bolt closes fully you know it is the bullet seating depth. If the bolt doesn't close fully on an empty case then you know the shoulder needs to be pushed back further. Many Dies require that the ram be cammed over hard to fully resize the case.
    This is assuming you are using reloaded ammunition. If not, and your using factory ammo, then more than likely the the headspace is out of sec.
    Bob

Comment

Sorry i tried wolf 120 and AA 123 and both do the same. I have taken everything apart as we speak, if I put a round in the chamber and drop the bolt in should I be able to spin the bolt???

Comment

Did you get the bolt with the barrel as a headspaced pair?

Comment

No I did not

Comment

The best way to check is to remove the extractor and ejector, the bolt should close easily and rotate to the locked position. If not, then the chamber is below min spec with that bolt.
            Bob

Comment

And if the chamber is below spec then what??

Comment

Also thank you for your help

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Black hole Weaponry has two types of chambers from what I've read. The type I chamber uses a 7.62X 39 bolt if I remember correctly. The Type II chamber uses a 6.5 Grendel bolt which has a more recessed bolt face. If you have the wrong bolt it can make the chamber to tight (short) and cause chambering problems. If I were you I would call BHW and see if this could be causing your problem with factory ammo.

Comment

You would need a bolt with the correct headspace.
                    Bob

Comment

Well talked to the company where I got the barrel and bolt from today and they are sending me a different bolt to try out.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

While I try and avoid interjection in such cases, I would opt to return the barrel to the manufacturer rather than try differing bolts in the absence of headspace gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                          While I try and avoid interjection in such cases, I would opt to return the barrel to the manufacturer rather than try differing bolts in the absence of headspace gauges.
                          I hear you bill, I am going to try this new bolt when ever I get it and go from there. You wouldn't happen to have a 24" barrel I would be able to by if this doesn't work out.

Comment

Hey guys quick update: got new bolt in today 7.62x39 type 1 bolt for blackhole weaponry put it in and no go. Decided to tear the complete upper down and start over. Took barrel off and reinstalled, did not torque down just hand tight, put carrier back in and low and behold the darn thing works perfect. Went back torqued the barrel down and reassembled upper put everything back together put 5 rounds in mag all loaded and ejected with no problems. I don't know what went wrong the first go around but something got tweaked when putting the barrel on. Anyways got it all back together and works fine I feel like such an idiot.

Comment

• rasp65
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

At least you were able to find and fix the problem yourself. Sometimes it is the smallest of details that get you hung up. Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X