Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill.brandonj

Break in ???

Okay so now I have my gun done. New narrel from mr a himself. I run 15 rounds am nothing as far as cleaning. What is proper schedule on this new barrel?? I read one post a out shoot/clean/shoot/clean. I
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hill.brandonj View Post
    Okay so now I have my gun done. New narrel from mr a himself. I run 15 rounds am nothing as far as cleaning. What is proper schedule on this new barrel?? I read one post a out shoot/clean/shoot/clean. I
    BH:

Clean it as you would any other barrel. No need to break in a barrel unless the barrel maker failed to give you a finished barrel. If you want to, go ahead but it won't make the barrel shoot better or last longer. And, there is no single process better than any other. All of them waste money and time.

Use the rifle and clean when you think it is needed.

LR1955

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Cool. Man I'm glad to her that. Was fraid I was ruining the barrel. Thank you for speedy response as always. You rock

Comment

I agree, just shoot it no need for break in. When i go to a range i shoot and then clean it when i get home and i am sure to put oil through it with my last couple of patches when i set it up for a long period.

Comment

depends on what its for i have several custom gun and if its for match shooting my gunsmith recommends shoot clean shoot clean shoot clean shoot 3 clean shoot 3 clean shoot 5 clean and your done....for those that dont think it makes a difference i don't no about that.....either way u will no when its all broke in when your velocity stabilizes use a chrono for that....... good luck.........shoot straight
          Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2012, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by djkilen View Post
            depends on what its for i have several custom gun and if its for match shooting my gunsmith recommends shoot clean shoot clean shoot clean shoot 3 clean shoot 3 clean shoot 5 clean and your done....for those that dont think it makes a difference i don't no about that.....either way u will no when its all broke in when your velocity stabilizes use a chrono for that....... good luck.........shoot straight
            DJ:

So, your gunsmiths are saying that 14 rounds fired with six cleanings makes a significant difference in the performance of a new barrel?

This sounds like the myth that one swipe with a bronze bore brush through a barrel equals 100 rounds of wear.

Anyway, 14 rounds of wasted money is a better option than the 50 - 100 round 'barrel break in' processes that were around fifteen or twenty years ago.

LR1955

Comment

If my barrel cleaning habits were equated to child care, I'd be charged with neglect! Barrel Services would put my blasters in foster care, where disturbed shooters would clean them furiously until they were throughly damaged.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                If my barrel cleaning habits were equated to child care, I'd be charged with neglect! Barrel Services would put my blasters in foster care, where disturbed shooters would clean them furiously until they were throughly damaged.
                Does pulling an occasional bore snake through to see if there is rifling left count?

I do use bore foam once in a while. It helps find the rifling.LOL

I don't believe in barrel break-in theories anymore either. IF I have an accuracy or chambering issue, then I usually do a decent cleaning. Otherwise I really don't worry about anything past running a bore snake once in a while. I have JB and Sweets, but I rarely use them.

I am curious about the new CFE powder though. One of these days when I get a chance I'm going to try shooting a bunch of CFE loads and see if some of the copper goes away.
                Last edited by Variable; 10-22-2012, 12:26 AM.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Variable, how much to purchase the mineral rights to your barrels? I can see the copper dripping from the bore, hehe.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Holy Smokes! Now that right there is a fine patina! We look for that on our antiques, haven't seen it in a barrel before, though!

Comment

I see a whole new line of thinking here
                      we can sell copper paste to apply to bullets to fill those ugly cracks and dips in the barrel .
                      the process will create a better seal and increase velocity and accuracy
                      IE: Moly, Otis lifeliner and several other products in the past

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smoke View Post
                        I see a whole new line of thinking here
                        we can sell copper paste to apply to bullets to fill those ugly cracks and dips in the barrel .
                        the process will create a better seal and increase velocity and accuracy
                        IE: Moly, Otis lifeliner and several other products in the past
                        Perhaps for a small fee I could allow folks to remove the copper from my barrels and allow it to be chemically rendered for use in there own firearms. That way I could give back to the community!
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I know some crack heads that will scrape that copper off with thier teeth for free.

Comment

Working...
                          X