Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overwatcher

Magazine Tuning Thread

One of the biggest pitfalls to this caliber is the Magazine and feeding issues.
    On the old site,there was a thread on proper magazine tuning with some dimension/pictures etc..
    I'm astonished that we don't have one on the new site yet.
    Also saw Bill A. mention that he tunes all his magazines he sells.
    (Maybe he could give some pointers)
    Just curious if anyone has pics/info/dimensions needed to get everyone on track with a magazine that is giving them a problem.
    Lets get something going and make it a STICKY!
    The list Begins,

BEFORE TWEAKING
    1) If your not wanting to tune a magazine, AA has a higher QC and inspects all mags prior to shipping.No tuning is usually needed.
    2) ASC took over C-Products reports are better quality.
    3) AA does not sell the 17 rnd mags for a reason,there have always been flaws with the design.
    4).....more comments..etc....
    TWEAKING
    ...more to come...
    Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM.
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

OW> I remember some of that old data-( Mags 101 )I tweaked all my crap mags to those specs., and to a bit higher spec. I'll check some older notes-I think it was 1.250 from upper mag catch sq. to top of feed lip=vertically. I have to go hunting- in 3 days !! literally!, and later-hunting for the older notes. I'll measure the mags. and post the data, not today tho. I asked Hanka if Bill A could re post the 3-4 yr. old data. He said it would be a pain., or ??? Must have all been lost then.. BTw, were u overwatcher on the old forum? Latest news is ---buy the new mags., they have a good report. I -in march- cut down my orig. cprod. 25 rnd. mag to a 17 rnd. unit-------------while I had the bottom cut off, I placed a rubber hammer handle up inside the mag body-to push out all the metal leaning inward-they were part of the ftf problem, then re-tweaked the lips upward so the bullet tip would hit the m4 ramp --just higher than above center-horizontally-, and centered!-all while bolt being released in slo-mo with extra eyes upon it-to verify the contact spot. I used a few small-med. crescent wrenches to get the desired result on the feed lips. The mag. body needs to be symetrical. ( Check my album, I rewelded one for 2.31 oal ammo to be loaded inside, with no tips contacting the internal mag/ area)Try it out.

Comment

• Captain Nick

Gentlemen,

Considering how much money we spend on optics and other gadgets related to our beloved Grendels, it might be simpler and faster to just buy magazines from Alexander Arms that we know will work without all the fuss. I have both 10 round and 4 round mags I bought from AA, and they function flawlessly. Spend your time, effort and money on other issues. Just my opinion, of course. :-)

Comment

AA doesn't tune them. They do a very thorough quality control on them from the manufacturers. Bill A. has reported good results from ASC lately. Any mags that fail QC get sent back. AA has rejected entire pallets in the past. Bill A. is a very likeable and friendly guy if you ever get to talk with him. When it comes to a QC discussion and you are the provider, the friendly hat will come off if your product fails continuously.

All my CProducts mags work fine, with one caveat. The dreaded 17rd mags (which AA refused to carry since CProducts didn't make it with a curved body as requested) will work as 5-rounders for me. The 4rd hunting mag I have works fine too. I have a bunch of 25rd mags that are GTG also.

Comment

• Overwatcher

Awesome all good stuff,added it to the original post.
          If I can get the dimensions,I'll add some pictures and make it a walk through of some various ways to mod a magazine.
          @Sneaky One,do some looking at get back with me I'll get with you and some of your ideas and find a way to incorporate them with some pictures.Great stuff BTW thanks.
          Keep the knowledge coming,just makes this cartridge/platform stronger.
          I would also like to get this info out on other forums.
          Hear way too many people turning down the cartridge due to magazine issues.
          OW
          Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

OW, I'll be back on Tues. -after hunting. I'll find whatever I wrote down-back in 08-09-and email it to you.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 11-02-2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I don't have any needs to tune my mags, since they work out of the wrapper. I also can load to 2.305" if I want to, but I stay under that.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Hang tite, still busy..

Comment

• Overwatcher

No worries still getting some stuff collected.

Comment

Working...
                  X